Commute in with my son

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Location
Epsom
At the weekend I got one of those child seats that you fit to the rack. It's brilliant, I should have done it ages ago.

My son, 2, loves it. He giggles away and keeps smacking my bum saying "faster Daddy". :laugh:

He goes to nursery 2 days a week at the same place I work, so I thought we'd cycle in today.

I avoided a particularly busy road that meant the route was a bit longer, plus I had an extra 15kg of weight, but it was still only about 5 mins slower over a 6 mile route.

Highly recommended.
 

515mm

Well-Known Member
Location
Carmarthenshire
It won't be long till he'll want one of those tag-along thingies.

Then you WILL go faster Daddy..............:laugh:
 
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Location
Epsom
Oh yeah, also people seemed to be giving me more room than usual. I might leave the seat on even when not in use!!
 
515mm said:
It won't be long till he'll want one of those tag-along thingies.

Then you WILL go faster Daddy..............:laugh:
My problem with that on our Islabikes trailerbike when Our Kid was little was to get him to stop pedalling at junctions. He absolutely loved it.

I like riding with a babyseat, though it does limit your luggage a bit. My younger son used to relax while we were riding, and fall asleep. Now he's a strong rider in his own right.
 
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Location
Epsom
ianrauk said:
I can't wait to take out my Henry on the bike.. but he's still too young at the moment.
How old is he? You can pretty much take them out as soon as they can hold their heads unsupported.
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
benb said:
How old is he? You can pretty much take them out as soon as they can hold their heads unsupported.
I've been trying to find out about this. My daughter is nearly 12 months, and I'd love to take her out on the bike (got one of those seats already in preperation), but everything I see apprears to say they should be 2 years. What's the school of thought? and where can I get a helmet for one so small?
 
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Location
Epsom
adds21 said:
I've been trying to find out about this. My daughter is nearly 12 months, and I'd love to take her out on the bike (got one of those seats already in preperation), but everything I see apprears to say they should be 2 years. What's the school of thought? and where can I get a helmet for one so small?
No, whoever told you that was very wrong.

As soon as they can hold their head unsupported you can put them in a seat or a trailer. Not sure about the helmet - we got given ours.
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
benb said:
No, whoever told you that was very wrong.

As soon as they can hold their head unsupported you can put them in a seat or a trailer. Not sure about the helmet - we got given ours.
Okay, thanks. I shall do a little more digging and see if I can find a helmet.
 

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Location
Birmingham
I love the child seats for the bikes. I clearly remember being on the back of my Mum's bike in the 70's on one of those tarten seats that folded down and was a total square shape!! I used to love it! Did any of you lot travel on the back of your parent's bike?

Then when I had my daughter I put her on the back of my bike from when she was 6 months old until she was over 4 (she was small!!). She loved it too. We went for miles!

I see now that they do seats that you are able to attach in front of you which look fantastic as the ride is even more interactive!

Glad you enjoyed your ride and hope you enjoy many more!
 

wafflycat

New Member
benb said:
No, whoever told you that was very wrong.

As soon as they can hold their head unsupported you can put them in a seat or a trailer. Not sure about the helmet - we got given ours.

+1

When WCMnr was a baby, being in a rack-mounted childseat on the back of my bike was his normal method of everyday transport.

As for lids - these days you can buy very small lids. In WCMnr's day, you couldn't so he ended up in the smallest lid we could get with loads of padding.

He's now a strapping man with his 22nd birthday later this year, having just finished university, so it doesn't seem to have done him any harm.
 

c2c

redredrobin
Location
east bristol
I used to ride out with my one year old son in a child seat, i was obviously a smooth rider as he used to fall asleep, i could tell as his head used to flop and start hitting my back.............ahhhhh bless. :biggrin:


He is 20 now, 6ft tatooed and only bothers me when he is skint..... sigh.;)
 
Top Bottom