Commute in with my son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
c2c said:
I used to ride out with my one year old son in a child seat, i was obviously a smooth rider as he used to fall asleep, i could tell as his head used to flop and start hitting my back.............ahhhhh bless. :biggrin:

He is 20 now, 6ft tatooed and only bothers me when he is skint..... sigh.:biggrin:

Haha. 30 seconds of joy, 30 years of misery. ;)

adds21

Rider of bikes
benb said:
Haha. 30 seconds of joy, 30 years of misery. ;)

30 seconds? Don't tell my wife it can be that much! :biggrin: :biggrin:

chthonic

Über Member
benb said:
My son, 2, loves it. He giggles away and keeps smacking my bum saying "faster Daddy".

My son does that too. He also likes putting things down back of my trousers as I'm cycling...

wesa

I remember the first nursery trip with my eldest, I ended up getting in a race with another cyclist, cheered on by the little one I was pushing 25mph on the flat. I won the race but got some grief when I got home.

Soon be ready for the trips with the younget.

HeyWayne

I love the idea of the child seat - but we bought one of these but I haven't really used it on the roads - too paranoid, even though it has a flag. Gets used at Centre Parcs plenty though.

alasdairgf

I just bought a child seat for the bike as well... My 3-y.o. got a bit freaked about it when I tried him in it yesterday, so we'll head off to the park for some practice this weekend, I think.

Question - how the heck am I supposed to get on & off when the boy is already in the seat? V precarious!!!

adds21 said:
Okay, thanks. I shall do a little more digging and see if I can find a helmet.

You might want to make sure you get a skater-style helmet if your kid's head isn't quite as high as the back of the chair - the sticky-out back on the traditional style might be difficult.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
alasdairgf said:
I just bought a child seat for the bike as well... My 3-y.o. got a bit freaked about it when I tried him in it yesterday, so we'll head off to the park for some practice this weekend, I think.

Question - how the heck am I supposed to get on & off when the boy is already in the seat? V precarious!!!

It can be tricky, as the bike is quite top heavy. You have to kind of drag your leg over the crossbar rather than backwards behind the seat. A bit of flexibility is useful. Just don't drop the bike!

wesa

benb said:
It can be tricky, as the bike is quite top heavy. You have to kind of drag your leg over the crossbar rather than backwards behind the seat. A bit of flexibility is useful. Just don't drop the bike!

The best way is to get the wife to ride the bike with the child seat.

Put the child seat on 'her' bike, because the rack fits better, but promise that you will ride her bike when litlle one is on board. When it comes to the first trip, point out that you have SPD's on your bike and she might find peddling a bit tricky. Combine this with a very lively set of hydraulic disk brakes and you will find that after about 25 yards, just after getting the back wheel back on the ground, the wife is offering to ride her bike with the passenger, after 50 yards she is begging.
Now you have the added entertainment of watching her get on an off a bike with a crossbar and a child seat.

Now I will find out if she reads CycleChat!

Top Bottom