Commute Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpjr

Hello, I will be new to biking (bike coming in next couple of weeks). I will have a commute of 10 miles to the train station. I will be riding a cyclo cross bike on canal (3 mile) and road (7 mile). Not too many lights or junctions. I have a reasonable level of fitness. I am trying to estimate my time for the journey.

Can people tell me their 10 mile commute times to give me an idea.

Cheers.

Downward

Guru
lpjr said:
Hello, I will be new to biking (bike coming in next couple of weeks). I will have a commute of 10 miles to the train station. I will be riding a cyclo cross bike on canal (3 mile) and road (7 mile). Not too many lights or junctions. I have a reasonable level of fitness. I am trying to estimate my time for the journey.

Can people tell me their 10 mile commute times to give me an idea.

Cheers.

45 minutes should be a good time considering its slow on the Canals

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a good estimate.

Even giving it some (speed) on not too heavily conjested roads you'd be looking at 35-40 minutes....traffic lights screw up any average. I'm about 40 minutes on 11 miles road, with some traffic in places.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's a good estimate.

Even giving it some (speed) on not too heavily conjested roads you'd be looking at 35-40 minutes....traffic lights screw up any average. I'm about 40 minutes on 11 miles road, with some traffic in places.
Yup 40-45 mins i reckon will be a nice average.

Mine is a mostly country road commute of 10 miles and its about 35 mins on a good day,up to 40 + if i have had a hard day etc at work.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My long-term average for 16.8 miles (27km) is exactly 1 hour, i.e. about 36 minutes for 10 miles. That's on mostly flat roads, just a few rolling hills, and with anywhere up to 10 red traffic lights.

PBancroft

My commute is pretty much bang on 10 miles. I usually work on the principle that it takes me exactly an hour to get from my home to my desk, including getting caught in (fairly limited) traffic, locking bike up in the basement carpark, and getting changed.

It takes me slightly longer in this weather to be honest though. I tend to just pootle in enjoying the surroundings.

l4dva

Guru
I do 11 miles into central london.... my fastest has been 42 minutes..... but usually its more like 50/55 minutes

but its not a race of course!!

lpjr, you should do it comfortably within the 45 minutes as there's not too many lights or junctions but for the first time I'd give my self an hour just encase things go wrong; it never does but for that piece of mind IMO its worth it, good luck.

My old commute of 3.2 miles up hill (270ft) through Edinburgh on a heavy hybrid would take me circa 12 mins if the lights were with me and I wanted to make the effort (sweat) but if the lights were against me it take around 15 mins

jimboalee

"Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted"

Do the ride several times before you do a 'meet the train' commute.

Get a good measure of the time taken. Add on 15 minutes for a puncture fix.

If you want to commute, do a trial run on the weekend, if traffic is involved add loads of time extra on and just slowly decrease the extra you give.

I was giving myself 40 minutes moving at first, as I got faster and more used to the timing I actually started increasing the distance a bit so I still leave at the same time.

My commute is pretty much bang on 10 miles. I usually work on the principle that it takes me exactly an hour to get from my home to my desk, including getting caught in (fairly limited) traffic, locking bike up in the basement carpark, and getting changed.

It takes me slightly longer in this weather to be honest though. I tend to just pootle in enjoying the surroundings.

I give myself an hour at the point I leave the house (getting the bike out the garage too etc). Although I regularly get to my desk a good 10-20 earlier, and gives me a bit of time in case I leave later. Moving time, never more than 35 minutes for 17km (16.09km is 1 mile).

PBancroft

I give myself an hour at the point I leave the house (getting the bike out the garage too etc). Although I regularly get to my desk a good 10-20 earlier, and gives me a bit of time in case I leave later. Moving time, never more than 35 minutes for 17km (16.09km is 1 mile).

Yeah, but I'm really not the fastest commuter in the world. I'll happily toddle along at my own pace, and its not unknown for my attention to be diverted by something and I'll stop to watch.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
12 urban miles with 700 feet of climbing.

Leisure pace = 55 to 60 minutes

Fast pace = 45-50 mins

Prefer the leisure pace

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you want to commute, do a trial run on the weekend, if traffic is involved add loads of time extra on and just slowly decrease the extra you give.

I was giving myself 40 minutes moving at first, as I got faster and more used to the timing I actually started increasing the distance a bit so I still leave at the same time.

Yes allows you to have time for a roadside repair and not be late .
Times can also vary a lot by terrain, weight carried etc before you even think about fitness and sort of bike you ride.

My average for my hilly commute is around 17 mph, unladen on the same route it is over 20 mph easily.

Eddiethelaowai

So lets say your weekend test run takes 45 minutes - you don't get stuck at the lights, traffic is not too heavy etc.

Lets say you pass 5 sets of traffic lights, which stay red for 60 seconds, so add an extra 5 minutes for getting stuck at lights.

During morning rush hour traffic there's presumably more cars on the road - depending on your confidence level this might slow you down.

Give yourself an extra 15 minute leeway incase you have a p*****re or another mechanical problem.

If you're leaving your bike at the train station, give yourself a few minutes to find a space and lock up - depends on how much bike parking there is in your station.

So if all goes smoothly, you might end up arriving 20 minutes early, but I prefer to arrive early and grab a coffee whilst waiting for the train rather than arrive 5 minutes late, miss the train and wait for 30min/1hr for the next one.

Top Bottom