1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commute today

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Not sure where to post this so another new Thread.

Bit of a rum commute today.

This morning reached Colliers Wood just as the whole area got cordoned off. A car had crashed (I saw it - looked bad - side crushed in) and a 70 year old had died from a heart attack. No idea what happened.

Wasn't got to post this as no facts known, sad event and put it down to a commuting experience. Hoped I wouldn't come across a scene like that again.

This afternoon approached Tooting Broadway Tube and saw a large crowd on the pavement, ambulances blazing towards me. I passed on the pavement a forlorn and sad looking young cyclist with a blue racer standing on the pavement. On the floor a plumpish, middle-aged lady, flat on her side, head on the floor (on the side) staring straight ahead. Alive but expressionless.

No idea what happened. Though pedstrians do jump out onto the road all the time. (Even had a toddler run out in front of me at this exact point before Xmas. It's right next to a Supermarket). But I'm not making any assumptions.

I know London is London but you really don't want one, let alone two, of these kind of occasions in one day.

One can never ever be complacent.

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

remember that road, long and busy all the way pretty much as I recall

today was a day for walking out in the road in a daydream, even the ones that saw me bearing down on them at speed didn't seem to be bothered

3. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

No real moral to my post.

On the other hand actually had a friendly chat with a couple of other cyclists at Colliers Wood. I had to find a detour around the cordonrd off area and just wet my finger, put it in the air to see which way the wind was blowing and followed it. As I came out of a park I looked around gormlessly.

"We followed you as you looked as though you knew where you were going." I heard from behind me. (I suddenly realised I had cyclists following me!)

Coming home, from Colliers Wood onwards, there was absolutely NO traffic.

It was like a film in slow motion today. Peaceful, calm sunny commute with two incidents of short, intense drama which left all the details to the imagination.

Deffo going to get a camera.