Commute v miles v work hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Done plenty of early morning commutes ie-4.45am for a 6am start, very tiring.
I struggle more after a night shift though, unlike skol above, find it hard to get the energy for the ride home, maybe I need another job? :unsure:

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I work 12 hour shifts, 6AM - 6PM but only have a 6 mile jouney (12 miles a day).

But i find myself driving in due to the early start and long day (physical work) and i am like the walking dead by 6PM.

Who else does silly hours and commutes?

I would be interested in any tips / hints to help.

Hi Pete,
I am at work by 6:30 but i can leave at three if i want so much shorter working hours. I do however do just over 15 miles round trip. As has been said sometimes it is a slog getting on the bike but after the first few minutes i'm usually into it.....same on the way home.

Are you fuelling right during the day? What are you eating and do you drink much coffee or tea?

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi Pete,
I am at work by 6:30 but i can leave at three if i want so much shorter working hours. I do however do just over 15 miles round trip. As has been said sometimes it is a slog getting on the bike but after the first few minutes i'm usually into it.....same on the way home.

Are you fuelling right during the day? What are you eating and do you drink much coffee or tea?

10 am - choc bar and a bannana
2 pm - lunch of roll with ham / cheese etc, pack of crisps, small pasta tub, choc bar

Drink coffee about 4 a day and 2-3 beef and tom soups

leave at 6pm, home about 6.30 (its all uphill)

I get wed off so i do mon & tue, then thurs & Fri.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Wanted a few beers tonight as im off tomorrow but that's been aborted as I don't feel right for it.Perhaps Friday night as im A\L after.

tadpole

Leave my house at 0600, get to work 0630, shower and changed by 0700, work from 0700 to 1900, cycle home, shower and changed by 2000. 5 days a week 48 weeks a year. cycle 8.6 in 9.2 miles home. I drive a desk all day.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Leave my house at 0600, get to work 0630, shower and changed by 0700, work from 0700 to 1900, cycle home, shower and changed by 2000. 5 days a week 48 weeks a year. cycle 8.6 in 9.2 miles home. I drive a desk all day.

Whats your bed time?

I am up at 5.00 (latest) so in bed by 9.30 ish nor i am like a zombie.
(if i cycle in i have to be up at 4.40 ish)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
On Tuesdays, I have college from 9 till 8. I havent ridden at those times yet as the weather hasnt been on my side (have heavy panniers so only go when the wind is down).

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Whats your bed time?

I am up at 5.00 (latest) so in bed by 9.30 ish nor i am like a zombie.
(if i cycle in i have to be up at 4.40 ish)

So if that's your latest,what's your earliest?

Im never really like a zombie really,actually my earliest up is 2am and out at 3am but it's heaven,very few cars about.I do feel groggy sometimes but that soon passes.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
10 am - choc bar and a bannana
2 pm - lunch of roll with ham / cheese etc, pack of crisps, small pasta tub, choc bar

Drink coffee about 4 a day and 2-3 beef and tom soups

leave at 6pm, home about 6.30 (its all uphill)

I get wed off so i do mon & tue, then thurs & Fri.

Are you putting weight on? Got to be blunt mate but thats a crap diet..(i used to do the same).......loads of carbs and quick hit sugars..high saturates...they dont help!
When i started commuting i found i got tired very quickly also......i had to INCREASE my calorific intake even though i work at a desk all day (i also do a bit of physical work but nothing i suspect as near as you........i have never been a breakfast person....i could quite happily go to dinnertime without anything...This is what i have now and it seems to be working for me.
Cup of black coffee just before i get on the bike 5.55am. Get to work protein shake...6:45 ish...i have now been up approx 1hr and quarter....before 9.30 i will have some porridge with sultanas and some ground nuts(already made up and stuck in a microwave)....before twelve i will have my lunch...chicken, rice and mixed veg (already made up and microwaved again) not a large portion but filling anyway. At about two i have some mixed fruit (cheap frozen mixed, can be substitued with an apple which takes the edge off any hunger)......i make sure i have another black coffee before i leave for home......oh and i drink a fair amount of tea and coffee in between.....as you know we have given up other vices......i aint giving up caffeine as well no way!
So i am not essentially going without food any longer than 3 hrs and i have coffee before getting on the bike.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Im not a breakfast person either,but im going to have to make the effort.The habit though is to cycle in and have something at work.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Im not a breakfast person either,but im going to have to make the effort.The habit though is to cycle in and have something at work.

cannot stomach anything except coffee/tea when i first get up.......i'd boff if i had anything to eat before getting on the bike....the protein shake is a good compromise.......rehydrate and fill up quickly when i get to work after getting out of the shower so i have cooled down and got my breath.....and if you shop around it isnt that expensive:thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
I generally work 12hr shifts, commute 7+ miles each way, and often do 30 miles in the saddle during the working day.

Come the 4th day on the trot the 5am alarm does start to feel a bit painful!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What an interesting thread, shame I'm too tired to read it all tonight :sad:
Left the house this morning at 5.30am, got into work at 6 (only 5 miles, did not rlj, or it would have taken me 5 min less).
On duty at 6.15am until 8.30pm: sat down maybe 15 min during that time. I work in catering
Rode back in about 30 min, as normal.
Don't usually do 14 hours shifts, maybe one every 2 weeks, but do 10/12 hours often.
I'm not a morning person, hate getting up early, but the commutes early morning/late at night are the ones I enjoy most.
This morning I even beat another cyclist up the hill: saw a total of 3 cyclists before entering town, which is a lot in my area.
Would not dream of taking a taxi, don't have a car.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
What an interesting thread, shame I'm too tired to read it all tonight :sad:
Left the house this morning at 5.30am, got into work at 6 (only 5 miles, did not rlj, or it would have taken me 5 min less).
On duty at 6.15am until 8.30pm: sat down maybe 15 min during that time. I work in catering
Rode back in about 30 min, as normal.
Don't usually do 14 hours shifts, maybe one every 2 weeks, but do 10/12 hours often.
I'm (am) a morning person, (love) getting up early, but the commutes early morning/late at night are the ones I enjoy most.
This morning I even beat another cyclist up the hill: saw a total of 3 cyclists before entering town, which is a lot in my area.
Would not dream of taking a taxi, don't have a car.

Well im out for twelve hours although my longest shift is 9h30m.In bold,the same.

Another thing,im entitled to taxi's for the very early turns or late finishes but have very rarely used on in the twenty plus years I have been at my latest depot.I remember the original interview (30 years ago)How are you going to get to work for the early turns? and I said "Bike",even I didn't believe it at the time.Oh yeah,one difference is I do seven day stints.They are absolute killers,especially the second set.

Top Bottom