Commuter Clipless Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
And no one, that is no one ever has been pulled up by the police for not have reflectors on pedals.
Agreed, but then if hit by a car you can guarantee insurers will look for any loophole, not complying with the Highway Code being a very big one.

Gez73

Veteran
PD-M324 - PEDALS - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO
these are my current Winter pedals with reflectors prised from some very old flats. Was behind a poorly lit rider the other morning and was quite amazed at how visible their pedal reflectors were in my lights. Perhaps not as necessary as one might think but very useful when behind someone with them.
To the OP: recessed cleats SH51 seem the norm and a MBT shoe will work a treat for you. I've always assumed Look pedals were very 'road' anyway. Enjoy your new experiences and do let us all know how you get on with whatever you choose.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I like the pedals as they have the flat on one side and clips on the other which would help in getting away from the lights if i couldn't clip in quick enough.
This idea that you need a flat side to the pedal for if you can't clip in or want to remain unclipped in stop go traffic really does become a total non-issue once you get used to riding SPDs. I find my feet normally clip in on the 1st stroke when setting off and unclip naturally when stopping (or falling off :whistle:). In fact, I had an unexpected slip and slide on some ice during yesterdays commute and I had a foot out and hovering near the ground before I even knew I was reacting, it all happens instinctively.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
These are the shoes I use. The clips are recessed so they are also good for walking in. If you go for these make sure you get one size bigger than normal. They also do a similar shoe but in a boot.

I have had mine for about 4 years and they are excellent

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt71-goretex-spd-touring-shoes/

You will need to make sure the clips are very loose, oiled and practice somewhere quiet. It is quite easy to fall over with the bike because you cannot unclip quickly enough.

Steve

Longshot

Shimano A530s for me - one side SPD clips, one side flat. I use them with DHB SPD shoes - have been very happy with the combination.

Mike_P

Guru
This idea that you need a flat side to the pedal for if you can't clip in or want to remain unclipped in stop go traffic really does become a total non-issue once you get used to riding SPDs. .
Also strikes me they are akin to having toe clips, you can guarantee the pedal will be the wrong way round. I seem to be able to stay unclipped if II want to on dual sided pedals if I want yet can clip in okay when desired without needing to do any of the neccessary pedal flipping.

Buzzinonbikes

I've got a pair of A530s on the commuter/wet bike and to be honest I have maybe used the flat side twice! Wish I hadn't bothered and just got stuck in full on SPD style. I find the flat side is a little lower after taking the clip mechanism on the other side into account and it makes it a bit of a stretch at the bottom of the stroke. I certainly wouldn't go any further than about 5 minutes (corner shop) without putting my SPDs on.

Top Bottom