Commuter race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
How many people live less than 19 minutes from the train station? Of course it's valid. No the cyclist wasn't in work clothes because they like to show "hey look a cyclist" in the photos. Of course the cyclist wins even with changing. Plus what happens to the train person if they are 5 or 10 minutes late, leaving or arriving at the office? They end up taking 30 mins maybe even 1 hour longer after waiting for the next train. Don't know why you think train is better than cycliing for such a short journey? It's madness not to cycle when it's only 6 miles. You'll have people getting a taxi instead of a 2 mile walk next.

I have offered no opinion as to whether train is better than cycling. What I have said is that as a comparative test, this test is flawed in many ways, and if the conclusion of the test was to determine the quickest way to get to work from point A to point B, there is no real difference between Train and Cycle. One could even argue that due to the 20 minute walk, the train passenger is getting some exercise. In presenting the cyclist as being significantly quicker, the narrative is false. Only the Bus is ineffective as a method for undertaking the tested journey. Car is ineffective if the commuter must travel at the busiest peak time.

And re-reading the article, the write up is contradictory nonsense anyway. The article says everyone sets off at 08:00, but she says she sets off at 8.15am. Somehow she just misses the 8.08 service and gets the 8.26 despite arriving at the station at 8.24 (9 minute walk according to google maps)! Having arrived at 8.41 it then for some reason takes her 23 minutes to do the 10 minute walk from the station to her office. She also records that her cycling colleague arrived at the office at 08:41 making the trip in 26 minutes, which suggests that he also set off at 8.15 and not 8am as listed at the start of the article. So if the train passenger hadn't stopped for a chat and coffee she would have arrived at 8.48, only 9 minutes after the cyclist who is still in his lycra at his recorded finish time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think we may be taking this a wee bit too seriously.
It's madness not to cycle when it's only 6 miles.
That's a bit strong. It might be wrong to consider the alternatives to be quicker, but people make decisions based on more than simply journey time. Doesn't mean they're mad.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
I have offered no opinion as to whether train is better than cycling. What I have said is that as a comparative test, this test is flawed in many ways, and if the conclusion of the test was to determine the quickest way to get to work from point A to point B, there is no real difference between Train and Cycle. One could even argue that due to the 20 minute walk, the train passenger is getting some exercise. In presenting the cyclist as being significantly quicker, the narrative is false. Only the Bus is ineffective as a method for undertaking the tested journey. Car is ineffective if the commuter must travel at the busiest peak time.

And re-reading the article, the write up is contradictory nonsense anyway. The article says everyone sets off at 08:00, but she says she sets off at 8.15am. Somehow she just misses the 8.08 service and gets the 8.26 despite arriving at the station at 8.24 (9 minute walk according to google maps)! Having arrived at 8.41 it then for some reason takes her 23 minutes to do the 10 minute walk from the station to her office. She also records that her cycling colleague arrived at the office at 08:41 making the trip in 26 minutes, which suggests that he also set off at 8.15 and not 8am as listed at the start of the article. So if the train passenger hadn't stopped for a chat and coffee she would have arrived at 8.48, only 9 minutes after the cyclist who is still in his lycra at his recorded finish time.
We don't know if she missed the train or the train missed. The latter being more probable, to the extent that some even factor it in to their travel time.

A similar, but longer journey, took over an hour by train, having first traveled to the train station, with a five minute walk once at Leeds Station.

By bike, it was just over an hour, with 15 minutes spent showering and changing into office clothes. This was for the whole trip, not just part, station to station. And using the main entrance, not the newer one used in the article.

If you've to travel further than your place of work, and then double back in the direction you've just come from, then you'd have to take that into account.

Out the main entrance and along Wellington Street would have been quicker, and cleaner underfoot.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@icowden Whilst it's perfectly possible to plan a journey in line with the train timetable, it demonstrates the inflexibility of trains and buses. If you slept in 15 minutes, it might well mean you miss your train, and you'll have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one to arrive, with a bicycle, no such waiting penalty. The arbitrary starting time and location actually showcase that (in)flexibility of each mode. I've had so many problems with buses and trains not turning up as scheduled that I occasionally swear never to use them again.

Clearly the article is a bit of fun and intended to drive clicks for ad revenue, not a serious academic study.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
Here's the thing. A cycle commute is fairly reliable time-wise. In the summer, my commute is about an hour, give or take a couple of minutes either way. In the winter, about an hour and 10, give or take a couple of minutes. The bus, well anything between an hour and 2.5 hours.

RainbowsArePretty

Car vs bus, train and bicycle. Horsforth to Leeds city centre.

Spoiler alert, cycling is fastest. Duh. :becool:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...ke-we-test-whats-fastest-commute-city-1357412

I used to car commute this route (near enough) almost a decade ago, I wasn't into cycling then, clearly the roads have got busier since then, and back then it was still pretty horrible at times.
Car vs bus, train and bicycle. Horsforth to Leeds city centre.

Spoiler alert, cycling is fastest. Duh. :becool:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...ke-we-test-whats-fastest-commute-city-1357412

I used to car commute this route (near enough) almost a decade ago, I wasn't into cycling then, clearly the roads have got busier since then, and back then it was still pretty horrible at times.
I don't think I've ever seen a real-world comparison like this before! It's great! I know the article is a year old but even so, still relevant :smile:

RainbowsArePretty

irrc I think Top Gear did something similar in London a few years back. I think the cyclist won also.
Oh yes, this was cars versus cyclist, if my memory serves (it's highly likely that it doesn't I can't remember what day it is at the moment from WorkingFH). But I remember this being a fun episode and pretty big victory for the cyclist :smile:

Top Bottom