Commuter Racing Official Rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

1/

Never, ever, acknowledge your opponent

2/

Keep your breathing inaudible, even if your lungs are bursting

3/

If you burn up three commuters at the lights and beat them to the brow of the hill, that's technically a win. Any old bugger can cycle downhill, even if one of them passes you smugly going downhill you beat them to the apex so you're the winner

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Being passed by a recumbent is one of the few things worse than being passed by a girl on a brompton. How I love increasing the speed slowly so they think they have a chance, and then keep on piling on the pressure until they go red in the face and explode!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Don't set off all fast from the lights with your novelty gears, cos the dude with the fixie and a massive gear might not start quick, but he'll have you, and he'll leave you for dead!

OP
OP
S

spindrift

BentMikey said:
Being passed by a recumbent is one of the few things worse than being passed by a girl on a brompton. How I love increasing the speed slowly so they think they have a chance, and then keep on piling on the pressure until they go red in the face and explode!!!

But don't even glance at them, stare straight ahead, disregard them totally as you ease past. Quality.

dodgy

Reminds me of the Fat Cyclist's piece of passing riders and the associated points system :biggrin:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522

My favourite - "Hair: If the person you pass has shaved legs, give yourself two extra points. If he has shaved legs and you do not, give yourself four extra points, because he’s going to eat his heart out when he sees that he just got passed by what appears to be a Fred.
"
Dave.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
spindrift said:
But don't even glance at them, stare straight ahead, disregard them totally as you ease past. Quality.

LOL, that's one good solution! To my thinking, a better one is to chat whilst half-wheeling them, and they can't answer for breathlessness. So mean!! Pity I'm not fit enough to do this to everyone.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Greeting: A simple “hello” or “How’s it going?” means nothing. Your score does not change.

Congratulations: A “Hey, nice climbing” or “Keep it up” means that they – unfortunately – bear you no ill-will. Subtract a point from your score.

Excuses: This is the holy grail of passing someone – they are so deeply humiliated by your passing that they want a chance to explain themselves, usually by saying something about being at the tail end of an all-day ride or being told by their coach they must keep their heartrate under 80. When this happens, smile knowingly as you go by, then double your score because I guarantee the person you just passed will be able to think of nothing else for the next 72 hours.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522

andyfromotley

Having blown your chance pulling away from the lights way too quick, a slight but noticeable drift to the offside as they pass often robs them of any chance to gloat........

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Try not to let them see your are stonking down the pedals by minimising your arm grip on the bars. The whole point is to not let them see you working.

Maz

Guru
What if you're on a MTB or hybrid and you overtake a roadie in full lycra? Surely that's worth a few points. I've done that a few times.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

I've done that a few times.

Everyday. OK, I swapped the chunky tyres for Schwalbe marathons but it's such fun to breeze past a roady. Love the no hands idea.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Slightly OT but I think that, if I were organising a sportif or similar, I would pay the local BMX urchins to hang about around the last mile and race participants to the line. The sight of cramp-riddled weekend road-warriors being overtaken by spotty yoofs pulling wheelies is both pitiful and hillarious.

I speak from bitter, bitter experience.:biggrin:

Trillian

personally i think i ought to get extra points for overtaking full carbon rigs with lycra clad riders when i'm on a 60's steel rig, jeans, hoodie and backpack on my way into uni.

cupoftea

Although I don't advocate racing on the road, grinding another rider into the road can be very satisfying.

Pass the rider and let them hook onto you’re back wheel, then slowly increase the speed until the drop off the back, then slow up and let them join again, then repeat the process.

See how many times you can do this before they give up completely. Childish but fun

PS extra points if you can get them to vomit

Top Bottom