Commuter racing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Hark at Cab. Spares us no details about how he wiped the floor with his oppo in his race and then says

Cab said:
Racing... Its for other people.

Bit like Rocky "I don't do that no more" Balboa..." who ends up in the ring for one 'last' fight. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
exactly what i thought Maz

that's how good he is, thrashes them without even trying

Cab

Maz said:
Bit like Rocky "I don't do that no more" Balboa..." who ends up in the ring for one 'last' fight. :smile:

:biggrin:

Thing is, I just went along at my own pace. The other guy is more than welcome to go past me if he's going faster, its just that commuter-racers always seem to be the ones who get past by weaving in and out of traffic stupidly. I genuinely don't care if a faster cyclist goes past me, or if I pass a slower one, what I don't enjoy is sharing road space with that kind of muppet from this morning who thinks hes racing me when in reality he's breaking all sorts of rules just to keep up. I can't be bothered with that; in a way, I almost feel like I'm part responsible for his stupidity, I'm somehow involved in him acting so stupidly. Pisses me off, thats all.

Cab

Tynan said:
exactly what i thought Maz

that's how good he is, thrashes them without even trying

Trust me, the average speed of Cambridge cyclists makes thrashing 'em pretty easy. The vast bulk of cyclists here are totally casual, even the ones racing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I race. My rules are, don't do anything stupidly dangerous; definitely don't endanger anyone else; don't force anyone else to adapt to you; and above all, don't spook pedestrians.

This allows for rlj, which I do routinely, so long as it's 100% safe (my daily route includes, eg, about half a dozen sets of lights which are not at junctions and serve absolutely no purpose but to be pedestrian crossings. If there are no pedestrians, I keep going. I also cross junctions where I have clear line of sight and can see clearly that there is no cross-traffic within 100 metres).

It rules out pavement riding.

It rules out most undertaking.

It rules out steaming past stationary traffic into blind spots/across zebra crossings and the like.

It demands giving way to - if necessary stopping for - pedestrians in the way, regardless of right of way. (If they're crossing against the lights, eg.)

I do get beat, fair & square. Not often, but it happens. When it does, I feel bad about it, but I take it on the chin.

Anyone who 'beats' me by doing anything I wouldn't do because it's dumb and/or dangerous, it doesn't count, and I don't feel bad about it.

Them's my rules.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
You sound just like the fella whose ass i wupped the other day. Are you from Leicester?

biking_fox

Guru
"weaving between cars"

Isn't this the point of cycle commuting - you can fit through the traffic that a car can't. Within reason of course - don't get in their way just because they are in yours; mind peds; etc etc.

I will admit to racing a bit when I see someone tricked up in full race gear. I've got a rucksack's worth of office stuff on my back, they should be able to drop me easily, but they don't. :-) No rlj no pavements. keep safe. Anything else goes.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
swee said:
So this is the '100% safe' until something happens, as there's no such thing as 100% safe?

If the lights you cross aren't at junctions I'm assuming they *are* ped crossings, in which case why are they on red if no-one's crossing? :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
happens all the time, the ped presses them, crosses while the lights are still waiting to change

and rlj at most junctions is perfectly safe if done within the lights sequence, I don't do it any more as policy, but as long as you know the junctions and lights it's perfectly safe, to pretend otherwise is frankly, delusion

gazzaputt

Had a great race last night until I rear ended a car turning left on me!! :tongue:

Still caught the fella I was racing on the following hill after and passed him though :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
yes, I'm seeing a few proper types in kit, some on fixies on my route, they generally pass me with something to spare but it's interesting how much quicker you go with something to chase

managed to keep up with a real courier type today, on a huuuuge fixie, he was really gliding along, goes without saying the rljed, tsk and that was that

good to see what's possible

Maz said:
Hark at Cab. Spares us no details about how he wiped the floor with his oppo in his race and then says

Bit like Rocky "I don't do that no more" Balboa..." who ends up in the ring for one 'last' fight. :tongue:

Ooh Maz. It's like I was there with Cab, so thrilling.

Tynan said:
the bloke stopping at the lights would say that wouldn't he

bet the bloke jumping them don't, he's just kicked your arse with his street smart skills

The way I see it they are admitting that I am stronger and faster than them as soon as they run that red light. They know I can beat them, so they need to find a way to keep their ego intact, and can do that by telling themselves that I am too chicken to race through red lights.

They may not see it that way, but weak sportsmen find it very hard to admit that someone is better than them.

Top Bottom