Commuter racing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
some jump, some don't, I doubt they're changing their behaviour for you

no rhyme or reason to it for me, I can never guess who will and who won't

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Absolutely. Whether or not I jump a given light has absolutely nothing to do with other cyclists. I jump if it's 100% safe and won't inconvenience (or worse) *anyone* else. Otherwise not. End of.

mikeitup

Veteran
only happened once. Guy came past me one evening and jumped all the red lights and used the pavement. I increased my pace slightly and his face was a picture when I overtook him about a 1/2 mile further on. :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I love commuter racing. There are some people that try some people that dont. Dont get it as much now on my road bike, but on the folder the people used to really go for it and try and keep up.
Dont jump lights though, thats cheating.:smile:

bonj2

I had a great race today from woodseats to town

with a national express coach :smile: get in :sad:
i won of course...drafted it all the way down the hill, kept drafting it on the flat and then just whipped in front at some lights where it was behind a few cars and there was no way he was passing again then, he was well behind

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
bonj said:
I had a great race today from woodseats to town
Would that be Chesterfield rd, then, bonj?
You could pick up one hell of a speed coming down that stretch down to Heeley Bottom.

Tynan

Veteran
don't like drafting big things, you've no idea when they might stop sudden and they can't know you're there

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
don't like drafting big things, you've no idea when they might stop sudden and they can't know you're there

s'funny - you don't *look* like a big girl's blouse;)

biking_fox

Guru
What I like least about drafting vehicles is the way the pothole suddenly emerges from them giving you no warning. BANG.

The braking is a bit hairy at times, but if you are paying attention generally not too bad, and you can always squeeze up one side to give yourself more stopping distance.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I was passing (and being passed) by a guy commuting on what looked like a steel framed hybrid (and he was wearing jeans!) By gum but he was fast...

bonj2

Tynan said:

biking_fox said:
What I like least about drafting vehicles is the way the pothole suddenly emerges from them giving you no warning. BANG.

The braking is a bit hairy at times, but if you are paying attention generally not too bad, and you can always squeeze up one side to give yourself more stopping distance.

i dont' draft him that close, there's no need to. and i've been down that road enough times to know where the potholes are.
coming down chesterfield road the coach is doing 30mph pretty much on the dot, so i'm not pedalling and i'm covering the brake all the time and actually needing to feather the brake slightly, as with no coach i'd probably be touching 35.
so adrenalin is building up but legs getting a rest, so can maintain a good speed on the flat when it levels off onto queen's road, that and the fact that he has to stop at all pretty much every traffic light on queen's road and i pull up behind just as he's setting off again, means i'm keeping up with him no problem - but then there gets a bit of a queue when we get to st mary's road, where there's roadworks - so i just nip to the front of the queue.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Personally I'd hesitate to draft anything where I didn't know the road - and never in the rain. But on my regular commute route, in good conditions, I'll draft anything big and fast. Ie, not white vans - too unpredictable. But buses, lorries and the like, absolutely.

Top Bottom