Commuter tank rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Decided to rebuild the Heinz 57 commuter tank using the remains in my long dead Sirrus Hybrid as a donor bike.
Based on a 1990’s MTB frame courtesy of Skolly, I will sport SKS mudguards and rear Tortec rear carrier all reused off the Sirrus with a few mods.
I have been using my fixie during the bad weather but it is too nice to do battle with blind and arrogant motorists so the tank is being recommissioned !

Attachments

• 0358DDAA-77DC-43C9-B4C2-B1EEE7A89604.jpeg
    0358DDAA-77DC-43C9-B4C2-B1EEE7A89604.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 109DBD23-88A9-40CC-B30D-235CDB4ABBA3.jpeg
    109DBD23-88A9-40CC-B30D-235CDB4ABBA3.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 87

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How us the picture when it's done ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What's not to like about a cheap, tough, no-nonsense hack bike? It does the job and won't cause you any worry whilst left unattended. I'd give that frame a coat of plain dark paint though, to make the bike look dull and unappealing to thieving scum. You don't really want a commuter that looks too bling and shiny, even if it's only a budget build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Someone's been playing with their MIG welder I see! :laugh:
What is the MTB base bike?
Skolly will proberly confirm it was a 1990’s Boss frame with added Decathlon/ Wiggle cheapo wheels, SKS hybrid mudguards off my destroyed Sirrus and running gear out of the parts bin. I might turn it into a single speed once the new chaindrive wears out but I will run it with gear things up to that point

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Nearly done but had enough of doing fiddly bits. New bottom bracket fitted, rear wheel regreased and new cassette fitted. Just got to refit rear derailleur, adjust everything oh and add new brake blocks and we should be ready for a test ride tomorrow

simongt

Guru
I was brought to a standstill today by a "after you"/"no after you" with a motorist :laugh:
And that's the beauty of being able to trackstand, or nearly do so in traffic. If you're going at less than 5mph, many drivers think that you're in imminent danger of falling off. Use that to much amusing advantage when slowing to let drivers turn into a side road. :thumbsup: :laugh:

Top Bottom