Commuter tank rebuild

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by skudupnorth, 17 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. skudupnorth

skudupnorth Cycling Skoda lover

Decided to rebuild the Heinz 57 commuter tank using the remains in my long dead Sirrus Hybrid as a donor bike.
    Based on a 1990’s MTB frame courtesy of Skolly, I will sport SKS mudguards and rear Tortec rear carrier all reused off the Sirrus with a few mods.
    I have been using my fixie during the bad weather but it is too nice to do battle with blind and arrogant motorists so the tank is being recommissioned !

Attached Files:

2. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

How us the picture when it's done ^_^

skudupnorth likes this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

Nineties MTBs make some of the finest tarmac terrorists. Tough, comfy, wide gearing, and fast on the right tyres. This has the makings of a tasty beast.

4. User33236

User33236 Guest

Easily solved by moving up north where the drivers may still be blind but are nowhere near so arrogant :laugh:

5. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

What's not to like about a cheap, tough, no-nonsense hack bike? It does the job and won't cause you any worry whilst left unattended. I'd give that frame a coat of plain dark paint though, to make the bike look dull and unappealing to thieving scum. You don't really want a commuter that looks too bling and shiny, even if it's only a budget build.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2018
    skudupnorth likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

We will call the modifications “ agriculturally sufficient”

Attached Files:

7. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

Fantastic bike that. :okay:

ADarkDraconis and skudupnorth like this.
  8. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Someone's been playing with their MIG welder I see! :laugh:
    What is the MTB base bike?

skudupnorth likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

Skolly will proberly confirm it was a 1990’s Boss frame with added Decathlon/ Wiggle cheapo wheels, SKS hybrid mudguards off my destroyed Sirrus and running gear out of the parts bin. I might turn it into a single speed once the new chaindrive wears out but I will run it with gear things up to that point

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

It’s done good service and now it has had the worn bits replaced it will carry on

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  11. simongt

simongt Über Member

Indeed, my city / hack bike is a black 18 year old GT Outpost. After replacing of many worn out parts, it's currently running a Sturmey 5 on 1.5" Conti Sport Contacts and we can still give a few drivers panicky moments - ! :thumbsup: :rofl:

skudupnorth likes this.
  12. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Not even that far north... I was brought to a standstill today by a "after you"/"no after you" with a motorist :laugh:

13. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

Nearly done but had enough of doing fiddly bits. New bottom bracket fitted, rear wheel regreased and new cassette fitted. Just got to refit rear derailleur, adjust everything oh and add new brake blocks and we should be ready for a test ride tomorrow

ADarkDraconis and JhnBssll like this.
  14. simongt

simongt Über Member

And that's the beauty of being able to trackstand, or nearly do so in traffic. If you're going at less than 5mph, many drivers think that you're in imminent danger of falling off. Use that to much amusing advantage when slowing to let drivers turn into a side road. :thumbsup: :laugh:

skudupnorth likes this.
  15. BalkanExpress

BalkanExpress Veteran

I love how, in the second photo, you’ve repurposed that shelf as a saddle:okay:

skudupnorth likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice