Commuter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ansel Cross

Regular
I am looking for commuter tyres with a combination of low rolling resistance and grip. It does not have to be particularly fancy. Simple, durable and time proven is what I am looking for.

My front tyre is 700x38c and the back tyre is currently 700x35c.

Thank you for your advice.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Marathon Plus - end of discussion :tongue:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Something from the schwalbe marathon or vittoria randonneur range. The latter can be had pretty cheap if you shop around

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1 for the Marathon range.
Lots of miles on Marathon & Marathon Supreme (the £££££ option, at least from UK stockists- got mine from Germany), quite a few miles on Marathon Racers. All quality. Marathon is an excellent compromise between price, speed and durability- cheap, pretty quick, high-mileage (not as much as the Plus) and tough non-folding though so heavier. Marathon Racer much lighter and a bit quicker, less durable and less puncture-resistant (at least in its older versions) though, Supremes as fast as the Racer, similar durability, but with Vectran layer for puncture-resistance. I've had one visit since fitting those to the Portland but that's the highest mileage bike by some margin, so I've no complaints.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2460488, member: 259"]I've always gone for Marathon Plus or Gatorskins. But the M+ weigh a lot and they're sods to get on - especially the first time.[/quote]

When I first switched to Marathon plus it took me half an hour to do the first tyre, the second I slung in the garage for a week before I attempted it. Now I can do them in a couple of minutes, even from new. There is a youtube video on here somewhere that shows you an easy way of putting them on.

I hate marathon pluses (tried them on my 16" bike) so when I needed new tyres I tried these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-wire-bead-clincher-tyre/

Super cheap, and very happy with them so far ~1600km

Gez73

Veteran
I use Marathon Plus Tour tyres on my commuter. Slightly more grip than the regular M+ and recommended for puncture resistance and grip on loose surfaces. Tricky to put on/off but once you get the hang of it it's no different to other tyres. The puncture resistance makes this less likely to be something you'll need to do very often anyway so worth the initial efforts.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have marathon supreme, less resistance than plus' s and just as puncture proof but I think bontrager hard lite knocks spots off them all and are much cheaper.

Top Bottom