Commuting advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
BentMikey said:
OK, I've emailed Carradice to see what they say. I've certainly read lots of "don't use carbon seatposts" around, and I thought I recalled one such warning from Carradice, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem very clever because I seriously doubt a carbon seatpost will be as resistant to crushing forces as an alloy one would be.

According to the latest studies as long as you are wear a helmet and high viz jacket then it won't damage the seat post :rolleyes:

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
OK, I've emailed Carradice to see what they say. I've certainly read lots of "don't use carbon seatposts" around, and I thought I recalled one such warning from Carradice, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem very clever because I seriously doubt a carbon seatpost will be as resistant to crushing forces as an alloy one would be.

I've read lots of things on the internet too - some of them, I'm amazed to say, turned out to be wrong.

If you're using "crushing forces" you're overtightening the bands.

Please post their reply, as I'd like to know if I'm mistaken.

iacula

I would ride your SCR, and put on a rack and panniers, panniers come off easy and rack is light. Pay yourself £5 a day, or whatever you're saving by cycling, then buy a new "best" bike hopefully through a cycle to work scheme.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK, I'm happy to report Origamist is right, and I'm wrong.

We have sold the SQR System to people using carbon seatposts and as yet have had no bad feedback. I suggest you use some protective tape where the steel bands are to be fitted but apart from that as far as we know there should be no problem. We recommend that the bolts should not be over tightened on any seatpost as this will put strain on the bands.

This is the usual good customer service I've had before from Carradice. Quick responses and very helpful!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Depends on how much you want / have to carry. Personally in the nicer weather I would ride the SCR with a back pack and save the MTB for winter / rainy commutes.

Snap. Certainly what I'm doing now !

I'd also recommend taking in clean clothes / towels etc on the days you don't cycle and storing them at work, so you're not having to carry them when you do come by bike.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
goo_mason said:
I'd also recommend taking in clean clothes / towels etc on the days you don't cycle and storing them at work, so you're not having to carry them when you do come by bike.

Agreed

Slim

Über Member
bryce said:
for bags why not try a messenger bag (I got mine from timbuk2.com). It doesn't give you a sweaty back + has some reflective strips that may/ may not help me to be seen. Packs a shirt in and all the essentials easily.

I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag with an Eagle Creek Folder to hold the shirts/trousers, etc.

For the messenger bag, have a look on EBay for the US based sellers - they're usually much cheaper (£40-45 inc' postage). Mind you, if you've got the dosh, try TIMBUK2.com and design your own.

The Eagle Creek folder was cheapest on EDirectory.co.uk but I'm not sure if they're still available there.

HTH

Plax

Guru
I'd go SCR & pannier in this weather.
I usually prefer to have a rucksack, but now the weather has improved it's horrible - really sweaty back and seems to weigh a lot more than it did in winter!.
I now cycle in on Monday with a rucksack with a weeks worth of clothes etc, and a lumbar pack. Leave the rucksack at work and use the lumbar pack for the rest of the week (I can fit pump, repair kit, tyre levers, multi-tool, purse, mobile, keys, skull cap, watch, long fingered gloves and my lunch in it, with a waterproof jacket rolled up and shoved in the bottle holder part). Friday home time I lug the rucksack back. Much better than taking the rucksack everyday.

Top Bottom