Commuting advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

I am considering comuting by bike to either Chiswick (8 miles-ish)or Park Royal (13 miles-ish) from Walton on Thames by bike. I have a choice of 'steeds' either my best SCR 2, Clipless, no rack or my hack mountain bike, with rack and panniers. What mods should I consider to the bike I choose?
What is the collective wisdom of cycling with a backpack?, I always thought it was best to avoid if poss. I intend to aim for cycling twice a week initially. Any other advice gratefully received.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Depends on how much you want / have to carry. Personally in the nicer weather I would ride the SCR with a back pack and save the MTB for winter / rainy commutes.

bryce

for bags why not try a messenger bag (I got mine from timbuk2.com). It doesn't give you a sweaty back + has some reflective strips that may/ may not help me to be seen. Packs a shirt in and all the essentials easily.

domtyler

Über Member
Alternate. Carry stuff in on your MTB in the panniers on the shitty days and that will leave you free to cycle in on your best bike on the nicer days unencumbered with anything that wont fit into your jersey pockets.

Some people seem to get on okay with rucksacks but personally I find them hellish. Temperature levels will rocket and you will get sweaty and sore, but worse is the horrible feeling of being restricted in your breathing and movement, even with the best rucksacks like Dieter Bike range which I use when I absolutely have to.

PrettyboyTim

Could you fit a saddle bag to your SCR?

Alternatively you could get one of those racks that attach to your seatpost, assuming it's not carbon. They're quick release, so you can take it off when you're not commuting. You could either attach a rack bag or a pannier to it.

Much nicer than wearing a ruckrack, IMHO.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How much do you have to carry? I was surprised when I found how much I can actually get in the rear pockets of a jersey, and it beats (in my view) carrying a sack.

Origamist

Legendary Member
PrettyboyTim said:
Could you fit a saddle bag to your SCR?

Alternatively you could get one of those racks that attach to your seatpost, assuming it's not carbon. They're quick release, so you can take it off when you're not commuting. You could either attach a rack bag or a pannier to it.

Much nicer than wearing a ruckrack, IMHO.

SQR works with carbon posts - I've had no problems for years.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
After trying various options (rucksack, panniers, saddlebag etc) I ended up just bungee strapping an umbro shoe bag to the rack. Carries the toolkit, snap and has more room to spare.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
It might do with lighter loads, but ISTR it's not recommended by Carradice and it's probably not very clever really.

So why is it "not very clever"?

No such recommendation has been circulated by Carradice (unless you can prove otherwise)! Talk to the people at Carradice, if you don't believe me...

I've had 8kgs no problem. With rubber shims/tape the post does not get marked either.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK, I've emailed Carradice to see what they say. I've certainly read lots of "don't use carbon seatposts" around, and I thought I recalled one such warning from Carradice, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem very clever because I seriously doubt a carbon seatpost will be as resistant to crushing forces as an alloy one would be.

Top Bottom