Commuting, Audaxing and Touring under 1k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh, forgot to say, I've been a very bad boy and popped into Condor's shop the other day and drooled all over those nice shiny bikes in their showroom.

Quite fancy a Fratello now. Who said anything about budget??
They often have a few ex display deals in the basement ;)

You could look at eBay too for Condor

Make sure you insure whatever you buy esp if in
London

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Nothing to convince, Harrogate, Skipton, York and the surrounding countryside are all fantastic places to visit

That's not the part that needs convincing but the one where I go "...then we'll make a little diversion for me to check out some bikes for a couple of hours". Might need to find out more about those hot tubs tom73 was talking about...

They often have a few ex display deals in the basement ;)

You could look at eBay too for Condor

Make sure you insure whatever you buy esp if in
London

Nothing my size on the ex-display sale but will keep an eye on ebay for sure.

Yeah, I know. Have been doing some research in that regard as well. Any recommendations? I know that the most cost-effective is adding the bike to home insurance but I haven't got one of those either. :scratch:

Is home insurance generally cheaper than a bike only? Any recommendations on home insurance? John Lewis seems to get good reviews.

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
That's not the part that needs convincing but the one where I go "...then we'll make a little diversion for me to check out some bikes for a couple of hours". Might need to find out more about those hot tubs tom73 was talking about...

Yeah, I know. Have been doing some research in that regard as well. Any recommendations? I know that the most cost-effective is adding the bike to home insurance but I haven't got one of those either. :scratch:

Is home insurance generally cheaper than a bike only? Any recommendations on home insurance? John Lewis seems to get good reviews.

Thanks!

The centre of Harrogate is lovely, I’m sure your partner can find plenty to do. Spa is close by a station so you can just take a train from Harrogate. Hot tubs, ugh, breeding ground for all sorts of nasties!

You live in London and don’t have home insurance? :ohmy:
Lloyd’s came up trumps for me this year (high risk SW London area), very generous bike cover and low premium for first year at least

John Lewis are good but shop around. I used compare the market

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Thanks!
Use a broker like A Plan to do the legwork for you.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

So, I've been to see the lovely folk at Spa and am now very much undecided!

After comparing a few of their bikes the Audax stood out for me (found the Tourer a bit too utilitarian + not a big fan of the v-brakes; the Aubisque is a nice looking bike and ideal for year-round commuting/touring but very much on the heavy side, specially when compared to the Audax - not exactly what I was looking for).

I've tried both the Steel and Ti Audax and even though there isn't a massive difference between the two in terms of weight/handling/comfort, I found the Ti version a bit more forgiving and swift. Perhaps not enough of an improvement to justify the extra £500?

Now, I had pretty much decided that if I was going the Spa route I'd go for the Steel Audax as the Ti version is way over my budget BUT they ended up offering me a very good deal on an ex-demo Ti (a bit over 1k, which is still quite a bit of money for me) so now I'm torn! Both are lovely rides but I'm tempted to splash out on the Ti!

In the meantime I've also been eyeing up this: https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b18..._Road_Bikes/GENESIS_Equilibrium_Disc_10_2018/ (Equilibrium 10 - Disc). Which for the same price would get me disc brakes but with increase in weight and inferior groupset.

Please help! Are there any reasons not to get any of these bikes?

All of them seem to be well regarded as do-it-all comfortable machines from reputable brands so any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you try the Elan?
Around Double his budget however ;)

Top Bottom