Commuting clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodd82

It would appear that despite being comfortable in my high vis jacket, by wearing it in the mild weather, I am giving off signals that I'm a fair weather cyclist, and a clueless one at that.

Maybe half right. :smile:

So, any advice on clothing I could buy to wear instead of the jacket?

I don't want to wear anything tight fitting, and I tend to just wear cycling shorts under football shorts on legs, which I'm happy with.

Everytime I look online, I just see a load of tight fitting, professional looking stuff!

Also, any thoughts about whether high-vis is recommended even in daylight? Is it simply more noticeable?

Cheers

Stick the jacket in your luggage in case it starts to rain

if you don't want to use the racing cycle shirts and want something baggy, nothing stopping you wearing football, rugby, or T shirts. Wear what you find comfortable. It isn't a fashion show.
If you want a cycle look to a shirt, my kids gave me a Muddyfox top that is a baggy T-shirt but wicks like a proper top does

As for Hi-Vis - you are trying to make a contrast to the background. In bright clear weather, dark is good. In dim conditions with poor vivibility, bright is good.

Leodis

Veteran
I am similar to you, I wear my tights under my shorts, a baselayer + other top for mornings under a Montane feather weight jacket, coming home I just have shorts, baselayer and the Montane.

sheffgirl

I got myself a long sleeved running top from Sports Direct, the cycling tops were double the price and I figured its the same thing anyway. I think its time to buy some short sleeved tops or vests now that summer is actually finally coming :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I just commute in my work clothes, have done for over 30 years.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
+1

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
My typical commuting clothes are shorts with waterproof trousers over them, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve (loose fit) jersey.
After absolutely boiling on yesterdays commute, I think that I will just stick to shorts and short jersey and take the other stuff as spare just in case it gets a bit nippy.

Now its turned milder (although today was short slieve weather) I'll have to dig out my Aldi jacket; its akin to my Montane featherlite which I use for recreational summer rides.
With regards to other layers I vary depending on the intensity/ weather. I normally do short commutes in work clothes, longer commutes in work trousers (maybe with padded short underneath depending on the length) and cycling jersey and change top. Although this morning it was very mild and I wanted to do a longer traffic free route, so it was just bib shorts and short sleeves :sun:

Top Bottom