Commuting clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Do you stand by the fridge to dry off when its really hot?

You will have to explain that one to me, :wacko: why should I stand by a fridge? There isn't a fridge in the warehouse where I work, though I did work in a chemical warehouse that had a huge fridge, big enough for us to drive forklifts in, to keep chemicals cool.

Lee_M

Guru
You will have to explain that one to me, :wacko: why should I stand by a fridge? There isn't a fridge in the warehouse where I work, though I did work in a chemical warehouse that had a huge fridge, big enough for us to drive forklifts in, to keep chemicals cool.

If I cycled to work in my work clothes I'd have to wring them out when I got there, or stand by a fridge to cool down and stop sweating

Kookas

Über Member
I do my commutes in my college clothes, SPD shoes and a hi-viz jacket. May look fairweather, but IDC, I know the truth. The jacket keeps my shirt from flapping about and dragging, too. Don't want to have to arrive 30 minutes early to get changed, either - the sweat would have dried off by then anyway. Not to mention the significant extra luggage.

D

Deleted member 1258

If I cycled to work in my work clothes I'd have to wring them out when I got there, or stand by a fridge to cool down and stop sweating

It sounds like you're trying too hard, we're commuting, we're using our bikes for transport, we're not trying to set a PB in the club time trial, I'm trying just hard enough to get there in a reasonable time, six and a half miles in twenty five minutes pace, but not working hard enough to sweat up, my aim is to arrive having just started to glow from the effort.

Reactions: PBB

redcard

Veteran
It sounds like you're trying too hard, we're commuting, we're using our bikes for transport, we're not trying to set a PB in the club time trial, I'm trying just hard enough to get there in a reasonable time, six and a half miles in twenty five minutes pace, but not working hard enough to sweat up, my aim is to arrive having just started to glow from the effort.

We're commuting, we can ride as fast or as slow as we like. I find the thought of riding in work clothes, no matter how slow, to be pretty minding and unhygienic.

Lee_M

Guru
i start sweating when I think sbout cycling, always have.

it might be a reaction to the fact that my head never ever sweats so I get overheated.

plus I'm paranoid, as I have had to work next to sweaty smelly people in the past and dont want to be that person

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I find a gillet really useful, They keep the chill off but let your arms breathe. You can buy hi viz ones too if you wish. Dont worry what others think, wear what you want!

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Gat all my clothing from decathlon (because its cheap) or wait for the clearance sales at the majot online retailers. No lycra for me as Im a fat g*t.

Baggy shorts a Decathlon 4.99 bike shirt and a high viz sleeveless jacket for me this morning.

Davidsw8

It would appear that despite being comfortable in my high vis jacket, by wearing it in the mild weather, I am giving off signals that I'm a fair weather cyclist, and a clueless one at that.

Maybe half right. :smile:

So, any advice on clothing I could buy to wear instead of the jacket?

I don't want to wear anything tight fitting, and I tend to just wear cycling shorts under football shorts on legs, which I'm happy with.

Everytime I look online, I just see a load of tight fitting, professional looking stuff!

Also, any thoughts about whether high-vis is recommended even in daylight? Is it simply more noticeable?

Cheers

I'd suggest disregarding other people's opinions on what you're wearing, no cyclist looks or acts perfectly anyway so any bad vibes you get will be coming from a hypocrite.

I can't imagine hi-vis ever being detrimental to your safety, maybe I'm wrong, whether you should or need to wear it is a different matter.

At the moment, I'm wearing cycle shorts under normal shorts, a t-shirt and a hi-vis gilet (plus my fingerless gloves and my helmet).

Lee_M

Guru
There's nothing unhygienic about cycling in ordinary clothes. Your right we can wear what we like, we can travel as fast as we like, but there's no right or wrong clothes to wear whilst we are cycling, we wear what we like, we wear what works for us, be it cycle clothes ordinary clothes or a mixture of the two, you had a little dig when I posted that I wear ordinary clothes, I've been doing that for over 30 years, I do more miles in ordinary clothes than cycling clothes, that's what lead to my other posts.

Thats one response to two different people, but if you mean me having a dig, you are altogether too sensitive, it wasnt a dig at all, but its a bit strange you're so defensive

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats one response to two different people, but if you mean me having a dig, you are altogether too sensitive, it wasnt a dig at all, but its a bit strange you're so defensive

Yes, my mistake, apologies to both posters, I managed to confuse myself.

D

Deleted member 1258

We're commuting, we can ride as fast or as slow as we like. I find the thought of riding in work clothes, no matter how slow, to be pretty minding and unhygienic.

See my post above, my post should have been.

There's nothing unhygienic about cycling in ordinary clothes. Your right we can wear what we like, we can travel as fast as we like, but there's no right or wrong clothes to wear whilst we are cycling, we wear what we like, we wear what works for us, be it cycle clothes ordinary clothes or a mixture of the two.

Top Bottom