Commuting clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

i start sweating when I think sbout cycling, always have.

it might be a reaction to the fact that my head never ever sweats so I get overheated.

plus I'm paranoid, as I have had to work next to sweaty smelly people in the past and dont want to be that person

I've done my share of working next to smelly people too, If I was like that I would make changes, my Mrs would soon let me know if that happened.

I am currently a cycling eye sore!
base layer shirt and bib shorts no big deal but then I add a Hawaiian style baggy cycle shirt, raceface baggy overshorts, and things go right off the rails as I am pairing this with knee high shocks.

buggi

Bird Saviour
try www.corinnedennis.co.uk

they have some really nice gear, comfortable, baggy, fitted (not overly tight) or tight, but all the sort of stuff you can get away with in the pub, and their hi viz stuff is quite stylish too. nothing "shiny" or garish, just nice styles.

D

Deleted member 1258

snorri

Legendary Member
So, any advice on clothing I could buy to wear instead of the jacket?

I don't want to wear anything tight fitting, and I tend to just wear cycling shorts under football shorts on legs, which I'm happy with.

Everytime I look online, I just see a load of tight fitting, professional looking stuff!

I've worn Marks and Spencers stuff since the days they used the St. Michael trade name, never had any probs. they even accept credit cards now.:smile:

redcard

Veteran
See my post above, my post should have been.

There's nothing unhygienic about cycling in ordinary clothes. Your right we can wear what we like, we can travel as fast as we like, but there's no right or wrong clothes to wear whilst we are cycling, we wear what we like, we wear what works for us, be it cycle clothes ordinary clothes or a mixture of the two.

It's less hygienic riding in the same clothes you work in, no matter what way you look at it.

There's sensible clothing and there's less sensible clothing. Work clothes clearly fit in the less sensible category.

D

Deleted member 1258

It's less hygienic riding in the same clothes you work in, no matter what way you look at it.

There's sensible clothing and there's less sensible clothing. Work clothes clearly fit in the less sensible category.

Why is it less hygienic? I've had no hygiene problems, why are work clothes less sensible? I see nothing about work clothes that isn't sensible.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Like Dave R I do the work bike bit in my work clothes.

For me that's 2 miles each way between Euston and office in Lincoln's Inn. Work clothes nod discretely towards cycling. Various iterations of Rohan slacks and a loose fitting cotton shirt. Even in midsummer and a late (post 09:00) start its rarely warm enough to work up a sweat.

Going home I can be more aerobic but still not anti socially smelly.

If I did 20 miles or indeed cycled the 6miles to station rather than having Brommy in car boot I'd need to change - but unless I do a superman thing in the train bog that would eat into the time I'm saving by biking. .

D

Deleted member 1258

Like Dave R I do the work bike bit in my work clothes.

For me that's 2 miles each way between Euston and office in Lincoln's Inn. Work clothes nod discretely towards cycling. Various iterations of Rohan slacks and a loose fitting cotton shirt. Even in midsummer and a late (post 09:00) start its rarely warm enough to work up a sweat.

Going home I can be more aerobic but still not anti socially smelly.

If I did 20 miles or indeed cycled to station rather than having Brommy in car boot I'd need to be different.

My commute is about 6.5 miles, I normally commute in steel toe capped boots, work trousers and a polo shirt, if its cool I will wear a light summer cycle jacket as well, in the winter I have a winter cycle jacket and I'll wear a sweatshirt underneath it.

watchiekong

It sounds like you're trying too hard, we're commuting, we're using our bikes for transport, we're not trying to set a PB in the club time trial, I'm trying just hard enough to get there in a reasonable time, six and a half miles in twenty five minutes pace, but not working hard enough to sweat up, my aim is to arrive having just started to glow from the effort.

+1
I commute in normal clothes also. 8 mile commute. I wear (light weight) silk thermal underwear for wicking - not medium weight and so doesnt bulk me up and can be worn all year round and thus wear any clothes over it.. My commuter pace is an unraced pace.

Kies

I commute 22 miles each way (twice a week). A summer base layer for wicking and normal shirt and trousers. A quick wipe down in the toilets and some deoderant,and i'm good for the day.
A steady non glow pace,stopping at all lights,crossing etc and coasting on the slightest of downhills

Top Bottom