Commuting Hybrid Student

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonni

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to cycling, but had a loan bike for the past month and really enjoyed using it as my main mode of transport. Now I'm looking to buy my own hybrid bike.

I do about 8-10 miles a day, on roads, cycle paths and canal towpaths.

I'm quite short (5 foot 2) but like going relatively fast, so something sportier and not too heavy would be good.

Lastly, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on this. 400 is about the max I can part with for the bike itself (considering I'll still need to get locks, helmet, etc.).

I'm not sure whether it smarter to go for a cheaper new bike or a second-hand one? Anyway, any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I’d go for a lightly used bike, something like a ladies Trek FX or Giant Liv Alight :okay:
Check out eBay, Facebook market place but so check that the bikes aren’t stolen!
Otherwise you might find something ok at Decathlon

All uphill

Still rolling along
Maybe there's a bike recycling project near you that will offer you a choice of guaranteed used bikes?

Don't be put off by age and appearance; a well-serviced older bike may ride really well and be less attractive to thieves.

OP
OP
Bonni

Bonni

Maybe there's a bike recycling project near you that will offer you a choice of guaranteed used bikes?

Don't be put off by age and appearance; a well-serviced older bike may ride really well and be less attractive to thieves.
Thanks, that's a good shout. I do keep checking those places, just nothing currently of the right type/in the right size.

And yes, that's a good point.

 Student

Does your college or uni have a bike hub? Mine does and knows where the good second hand places are. They also have hire bikes which might be better than buying (plus if it breaks, you get repared/replaced!).

OP
OP
Bonni

Bonni

 Student

Does your college or uni have a bike hub? Mine does and knows where the good second hand places are. They also have hire bikes which might be better than buying (plus if it breaks, you get repared/replaced!).

Yes, we do. The bike hub does have some second hand bikes, just nothing atm in my size. They also have bikes you can hire per semester, but you still have to pay for repairs, so I feel like it makes more sense to buy one.

I would second the idea of a bike recycling charity.

£400 is far more than you need. If you are very lucky you will find a nice touring bike - the prices for those are very low at the moment. The mudguards and rack make them more useful and they are fast.

Hello! Another, ahem, short lady cyclist here! :hello:

You're only just a little bit taller than me, so don't rule out junior bikes when looking. I ride a Wiggins Chartres 26 junior hybrid, and it's a really good do-it-all bike. Sadly they don't make them anymore, but worth looking out for the original blue, silver and red version which has a 3x9 drivetrain, mechanical discs and all the fixtures and fittings to take rack and mudguards etc. Otherwise, look out for the larger offerings by Isla and Frog.

An old style mountain bike with rigid front forks would also meet the brief - again, if you put commuter-type slick tyres on, they can be surprisingly sprightly and versatile, and because they're not blingy, they're far less nickable than something newer.

Top Bottom