Commuting in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RPerry99

I am currently in the theory stages of a new cycling product and I wanted to know. What do you find to be the most problematic part of cycling in the dark and how much would you be willing to spend on a product that could guarantee your visibility and safety whilst cycling in the dark?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You could mount the Eddystone Lighthouse on a bike and some of the feckers still wouldn't see you. :cursing: Good luck with the project.
BTW I've got about £350 worth of lights that fit on all my bikes (multiple brackets permanently fitted to all of them) and still they pull out on me.

... that could guarantee your visibility and safety whilst cycling in the dark?

Sorry, but no such thing could exist. You do need to be a little careful in the wording. You can be lit up like a Chirstmas tree but if a driver doesn't look, they'll still smash into you. Can I please ask of YOUR experience as a cyclist, particularly in the dark as the issues you face or are you coming form the perspective of a non-regular-cyclist or a motorist?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not being able to see the potholes in the road quickly enough and being able to avoid them while driving in heavy traffic

I don't think a bright light is an easy solution for that

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Depends what you're idea is.

I wouldn't accept anything less than this as a starting point..

groundup_flamethrower.jpg

GC

cd365

Guru
Maybe he is going to build some segregated cycle lanes which will be well lit?

mythste

Veteran
Potholes, for me. I often realise im concentrating on the surface ahead when I should be giving my undivided to the traffic around me (though my night time commutes are about 10 miles and I maybe see 10 cars the whole way)

Top Bottom