Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think now I'm more than likely going for the "T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-mode 1200 Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set" from deal extreme for the front, and a Blackburn Mars 4.0 for the rear. I have a question though - how does the airmail service deal extreme uses work? Do they just pass it to royal mail in this country? If I miss the delivery and it doesn't fit through the letterbox, will they just keep it at the nearest royal mail depot?

the usual procedure is that they will use a courier company - may be royal mail, may be dhl, may be anyone! All the courier companies then differ, but normally you'll get a card to say they missed you, and the opportunity to arrange another delivery, or pick it up from your nearest depot.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I think now I'm more than likely going for the "T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-mode 1200 Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set" from deal extreme for the front, and a Blackburn Mars 4.0 for the rear (having a quick check on ebay though for UK suppliers for the front light). I have a question - how does the airmail service deal extreme uses work? Do they just pass it to royal mail in this country? If I miss the delivery and it doesn't fit through the letterbox, will they just keep it at the nearest royal mail depot?

Mine arrived today while I was at work, even though there is a red label on the front saying 'Signature Required - Royal Mail' it was just put through my letter box!

soulful dog

Veteran
Mine arrived today while I was at work, even though there is a red label on the front saying 'Signature Required - Royal Mail' it was just put through my letter box!
That's happened to me a few times recently. The last time I was home at the time, so the postman didn't even ring the bell to attempt to get a signature, he just put it through the letterbox. They only seem to be bothering about signatures for Special Delivery items these days?

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I just found:
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2737wt_1167
on ebay for a fair bit cheaper than other lights I've looked at - would this be sufficient? I'm a bit worried about battery life though - I can get some rechargeable AAAs but if it's going to eat through battery power too quickly it may not be a good idea.

Looks good, but I have no idea about battery life. I use recharables in my Smart lights (35lux) & they do last a long while between chrgaes, but the lights are nowhere near the 900 lumens level

I commute on country lanes and use a Hope 1 as my main light. Works a treat. I have a small Knog as well for flashing purposes. I've used a variety of lights over the years, but the Hope is best I've had.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's happened to me a few times recently. The last time I was home at the time, so the postman didn't even ring the bell to attempt to get a signature, he just put it through the letterbox. They only seem to be bothering about signatures for Special Delivery items these days?

The number of times I've caught royal mail and couriers coming down the path with the card already in their hand, goods still on the van, not even prepared to attempt to deliver the goods, get a signature, etc., etc.. Recently RM increased the time to wait before calling from 4 hours to 48 hours. 48 hours, we are 200m from the collection point/sorting office.

shunter

For unlit country lanes I use the Electron Nano at front flashing, the Hope Vision 1 constant and Exposure joystick on my helmet to search out any holes etc. At the back I have a Cateye TL-LD1100 flashing and TL - LD610 flashing - 3 rows of LEDS in different sequences. May seem like overkill but the stretch of road is very dark and very busy.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I have the DX light on order, so I'll see just how good it is when it eventually arrives. By all accounts, it's very bright but possibly not of the best quality (there is a reason that it's half the price of the Magicshine... ). Aimed carefully, so that the light goes onto the road rather than into oncoming motorists' eyes it should be ideal for the dark lanes. I'd advise you get a second light as a backup, in case the first breaks or you forget to charge it. That way you won't be stranded without light.

I just found:
on ebay for a fair bit cheaper than other lights I've looked at - would this be sufficient? I'm a bit worried about battery life though - I can get some rechargeable AAAs but if it's going to eat through battery power too quickly it may not be a good idea.

This could make a good backup light, though the mount looks a little plastic-y and runtime off AAA's is not going to be great. Alternatively the Smart 35 Lux light would do a good job. It's not quite as bright, but has a good solid mount, runs for ages off 2 AA batteries and is reliable. Cheapest seems to be Planet X (linked) at £23.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks good, but I have no idea about battery life. I use recharables in my Smart lights (35lux) & they do last a long while between chrgaes, but the lights are nowhere near the 900 lumens level

+1 with AAA batteries they are no where near 900 lumen , i run a p4 torch with AAA rechargeables as a back up light/flasher and my Magicshine blows it away ., you might get 150 lumens on a good day .With 2 of the torches i could just about navigate my unlit route but the beams are too narrow to see the road properly.
As for battery life they might last 3 hours on full power if you got really good batteries, i use 1000mah .

I commute on country lanes and use a Hope 1 as my main light. Works a treat. I have a small Knog as well for flashing purposes. I've used a variety of lights over the years, but the Hope is best I've had.

PS. If you're anywhere near an Aldi get some of their flashing LED reflector bands. I've just got my new ones for this winter and notice the extra space overtakers give me immediately. Best £4 you'll ever spend.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For unlit country lanes I use the Electron Nano at front flashing, the Hope Vision 1 constant and Exposure joystick on my helmet to search out any holes etc. At the back I have a Cateye TL-LD1100 flashing and TL - LD610 flashing - 3 rows of LEDS in different sequences. May seem like overkill but the stretch of road is very dark and very busy.

The headlight + helmet light (+ a flashing be seen) is invaluable, especially as the road surface breaks down over the winter when it is never the same two nights running. Two rears is common sense, in case one packs up, and the third gives a bit of comfort. One school of thought suggests aiming one down at the ground to create a pool of red light on the road surface....

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
PS. If you're anywhere near an Aldi get some of their flashing LED reflector bands. I've just got my new ones for this winter and notice the extra space overtakers give me immediately. Best £4 you'll ever spend.

+1 to this, got one for each arm and one for each leg, plus steady and flashing rear LEDs. First really dark commute home tonight through unlit country lanes and noticed really nice wide passes and people waiting patiently behind me so they could get round with plenty of room, was an absolute pleasure.
Until I heard the horrible horrible sound of rubber screaming on tarmac behind me, absolutley shat myself, fortunately the car managed to stop before he collided with my rear end, don't know how close he got was too busy pedaling like a banshee looking for an out over the hedge. I think most people thought I was brighter than a Christmas tree, but it only took one driver not paying proper attention and I could have been wiped out, be careful out there people.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just to clear things up.

The P7 is 900 lm rated, the T6 is 1000, not 1200 (as advertised). In real life they aren't that powerful, but about 600lm in reality for these cheap ones.

I've got the Magicshine 808E which is a T6 and the specs are 1000 - it's brighter than the P7 though, and I suspect Colly has been sent the P7 (the led is divided in 4)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I just found:

That's very similar to my brightest light. You won't need full power so you should get 4-5hours (maybe more) out of a charge. They are very bright (mine's comparable to the magicshine) and I like the replaceable battery.

I could do with getting a bracket like that one as well as my lock-block moves a bit

Top Bottom