Commuting 'logistics'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paspie

I am a student at a uni over 20 miles away and I live in the middle of nowhere (rural area) with my parents. Gave up digs as the quality of life is not good enough for me.

Driving 45 minutes each way isn't too bad, but I thought I could do better as my fitness has been slowly declining for years. The blocker I have determined is that in order for such a distance to be cleared comfortably, a decent road bike would be a necessity, but I could never leave such a contraption unattended. Not sure I could get away with wheeling a bike around the premises, particularly in some of the studios.

To me, it makes no sense to make the investment solely for standalone training sessions as I would forego the chance to save on fuel and maintenance costs on the car.

I'm wondering if my qualms are justified or if anyone copes with a similar situation.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am a student at a uni over 20 miles away and I live in the middle of nowhere (rural area) with my parents. Gave up digs as the quality of life is not good enough for me.

Driving 45 minutes each way isn't too bad, but I thought I could do better as my fitness has been slowly declining for years. The blocker I have determined is that in order for such a distance to be cleared comfortably, a decent road bike would be a necessity, but I could never leave such a contraption unattended. Not sure I could get away with wheeling a bike around the premises, particularly in some of the studios.

To me, it makes no sense to make the investment solely for standalone training sessions as I would forego the chance to save on fuel and maintenance costs on the car.

I'm wondering if my qualms are justified or if anyone copes with a similar situation.
Why not if you get a couple of good locks? You could also use an older bike. Or even a modern one with a quick release wheel and seat post which you could take with you. No wheel and no seat isn't appealing to thieves :dry:

classic33

Leg End Member
Decent locks and a place that you can lock the bike up should help.

Have you had a chance to see if there is anywhere that is secure for locking the bike up whilst at work, before discounting the idea.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
What sort of uni doesnt have on-site bicycle parking these days??? though if its over 20miles each way id be more inclined to buy a second hand e-bike which a rack that you can secure a pannier or bag to carry all your books and other things you might need for your studies.

If you have a locker there make good use of it and leave some clothing in there that you can change into every day. carry only the essentials and leave everything else in the locker.

I suggested a second hand e-bike because you said your fitness is in decline and over 20miles each way is a damn long ride for a person just getting into it. If you are fit enough though just ignore my suggestion of an E-bike. buy a second hand Triban for £200 or less and just start your journey to uni earlier - It could even take you two hours to cover the 20miles depending on your personal fitness and if there are any hills involved. So said you lived in a rural area in the middle of nowhere so im inclined to believe that there are quite a few hills that lie in your path to uni.

The E-bike will help you build your fitness up till you decide you're ready to go for a proper bike or not at all. Decathlon do pretty serviceable e-bikes and their warranty is pretty good though your level of customer service may highly depend on who you speak to the day you walk into the store with a faulty product.... Normally they are pretty good at handling things.

Its doable but you gotta have the motivation and dedication to keep at it. Otherwise just get a more eco-friendly car/

What are public transport links like? 20 miles each way can be a bit much if fitness is an issue. Is bike-train-bike an option for you? Though if you do that, depending on where you are (you don't specify) you may run up against restrictions on non-folding bicycles. You could do this one of two ways.

a) Have a cheap hack bike at each end, one that you're happy leaving locked up wherever.

or

b) Buy a folder, which you *can* take on trains at all times, and you can stash under a desk or in a locker etc.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Decent locks / storage are your answer.

I work at a university with a 12-mile each way commute and, although I'm fortunate to have secure underground storage, there are a lot of bike stands available. Some bikes have gone over the years but the ones which are well secured with two D-locks and a cable tend to be left.

You may find the university has a bike loan scheme / workshop as well. Have a search / ask.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went with my stepdaughter to her interview at Sheffield university. While she was being interviewed I walked around the campus and spotted some bike racks. There were locked front wheels with bikes missing, locked bikes with front wheels missing, broken locks (with entire bikes missing!) and securely-locked bikes which had been vandalised.

My mate's son was going to Sheffield uni the following year. I heard that his mum was going to buy him a bike to get around the city so I suggested that it would be a good idea for him to ride something cheap, and effectively disposable. The advice went unheeded and he got an expensive mountain bike. It was stolen in his first couple of weeks there ...
:whistle:

I'd either use a very cheap, nasty-looking bike which nobody could be bothered to steal (or vandalise?) or something like a Brompton which I could fold up and carry about with me.

2 x 20 miles would be okay on a nice summer day but perhaps a little far to do regularly and I certainly wouldn't fancy doing it in bad weather.

vickster

Legendary Member
45 minutes to do 20 miles by car sounds pretty rubbish if not in London. Are you travelling on main roads into a big city. If so, as suggested can you do some of the journey by bike and then pick up a train?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You don't need a high value bike for the job. Most cheapish modern bikes would gobble up the journey if you are up to it, but twenty miles each way, daily, will grind you down unless you are pretty serious. I would start with a more modest target and see how it goes, get the bike insured, and get a good lock.

Gunk

Guru
£100 will buy a serviceable road bike, don’t spend any more, mudguards and pannier rack are handy, good lights are a must and a removable cover for the seat. Make sure wheels and seat post are not quick release and try and use a couple of locks.

You’re not doing a time trial so buy something tough robust and comfortable, the less sexy the better. Older 26” wheel mountain bikes are a bargain so are 10 year old hybrid town bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
£100 will buy a serviceable road bike, don’t spend any more, mudguards and pannier rack are handy, good lights are a must and a removable cover for the seat. Make sure wheels and seat post are not quick release and try and use a couple of locks.
Why not? Makes it far easier to take them with one ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
It's 45-60 minutes for me to go into Leeds by car and that's 12 miles.

By bike it's 40-45 minutes. :bicycle: wins
From memory, it’s a main road/built up area for you to Leeds
The OP says s/he is in the middle of nowhere which suggests countryside so emptier, NSL roads? OP unlikely to do 20 miles on a bike in 45 mins

classic33

Leg End Member
From memory, it’s a main road/built up area for you to Leeds
The OP says s/he is in the middle of nowhere which suggests countryside so emptier, NSL roads? OP unlikely to do 20 miles on a bike in 45 mins
Did the 181/2 along a mix of urban & rural into Leeds in just over an hour. It may have been an "A road" used for most of it, but it narrows in places as well as being unlit.

The harder part will be the actual route being used, which hasn't been mentioned. Is it in a flat area, or are hills likely to be a problem.

Top Bottom