Commuting 'logistics'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much of my way there is on a meandering B-road that isn't completely double-track, average speed is about 40mph. Main roads are available but involve a detour that's not worth it.

If there were an end to month-long strikes then maybe the train would be feasible.

South West Trains, huh? That would put you Surrey / Hampshire-ish. So definitely not flat like it is up here...

You can take a folding bike on a bus as well, if that's also an option.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
A decent roadbike doesnt need to be expensive and you fitness is going to be by far the biggest limiting factor here.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Alternating transport modes is a kludge and it doesn't stack up monetarily. I'm sticking with the car, thanks.

Consider getting a cheap 50cc moped or motorcycle. They are quite economical to run and you can park them anywhere. if you already have a full driving license then you wont need to take any extra training. But if you do a 125cc would be well worth it.

A darn sight more greener than any 4 or 6 cylinder petrol engine.

If public transport and cycling is not an option. the next best thing is you just 'downsize' what you currently got.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Consider getting a cheap 50cc moped or motorcycle. They are quite economical to run and you can park them anywhere. if you already have a full driving license then you wont need to take any extra training. But if you do a 125cc would be well worth it.

A darn sight more greener than any 4 or 6 cylinder petrol engine.

If public transport and cycling is not an option. the next best thing is you just 'downsize' what you currently got.
Why is that any better than one of the longer-range e-bikes that can take advantage of cycleways? Is the higher top speed worth burning oil?

icowden

Veteran
As others have said, 20 miles is a long cycle commute when you have to do it each way. It's about that distance from my part of Surrey to London Bridge and takes me about 2.5 hours to cycle. It's a lovely ride, but I couldn't do it every day twice a day.

Although SWR do suck at running trains on time, a folding bike commute involving a train portion might well be a better solution than the car.You have the benefit of exercise, a rest on the train, and the option of not bothering with the train if the weather isn't too bad.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Consider getting a cheap 50cc moped or motorcycle. They are quite economical to run and you can park them anywhere. if you already have a full driving license then you wont need to take any extra training.

You will if you passed your driving test after Feb 2001. Only us old'uns get a free moped (AM) category on their licence, any young'uns or newcomers to driving will need to do a CBT. And if you're doing a CBT, may as well go for a 125.

45 minutes to do 20 miles by car sounds pretty rubbish if not in London. Are you travelling on main roads into a big city. If so, as suggested can you do some of the journey by bike and then pick up a train?
If they are at Uni in Cambridge its perfectly feasible. I've never driven the whole way in but have took the guided bus which goes 12miles down the guided busway, a direct route at speeds of upto 50mph and then crawls through town for 3 miles and that can take upto 45mins. Factor in waiting time (upto 15mins), no wonder I cycle as it takes me 45mins at night when I can shave off 1.5 of the miles through town. Or at least it did, diversions add another 5 miles to my commute, the best I've done for that so far is 1h for 18miles.

Going back to the OP I do it on a cheap decathlon road bike (Triban 500) that I leave locked all day with a d'lock on a open bike rack in the heart of student town (touch wood in two and a half years no one has stole it). If 20miles is too much to start with also consider driving some of it and parking up. I drive for 26miles park up and cycle the 18miles. Going back to Vickster again that 26 miles drive before they opened the new A14 could easily take 50mins in the peak (not much faster than the OP :okay:).

Last edited:
Top Bottom