Commuting on a old classic bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

southcoast

Über Member
Yep blue and red seemed the most popular bitd. I owned a high back model, think the colour was called mustard lol.

Ivo

I commute on a mid 80-ies Koga Miyata Traveller

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I was commuting, if the weather was good and I was doing a longer ride then I would sometimes take my Ribble 653. Quicker and more comfy than the alloy and carbon fixie. Steel forks just zuzz out the road vibration.

Drago

Legendary Member
Choppers were dreadful bikes. Massively successful commercially for Raleigh, granted, but terrible bikes nonetheless.

Yes, terrible tramsonic buffeting. They were so unstable that the Fed's on the island wouldnt let you take your cycling proficiency test on one, so I had to endure the embarrassment of using my sister's bike.

Slick

Guru
Yes, terrible tramsonic buffeting. They were so unstable that the Fed's on the island wouldnt let you take your cycling proficiency test on one, so I had to endure the embarrassment of using my sister's bike.
Great for wheelies though. :becool:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My Grandfather commuted to work by bicycle every day from Emsworth to Portsmouth Dockyard for probably 25 years.

Guessing his bike would have been an old classic as this was 1935-1950

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
531 frames make excellent commuters, providing you can fit more modern dual-pivot brakes, which are far superior to those that the frame would have come with.

a tatty old steel frame will make you look like a student though… ;)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My station hack is a 1987 531 Peugeot touring bike. Perfect for the job, full 'guards and a rack if needed, a low gears on the granny ring for getting back up the hill of an evening.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
alecstilleyedye said:
a tatty old steel frame will make you look like a student though… ;)

Not much danger of that in my case what with having short hair and un-student-like demeanour :laugh: . I'd have to grow a pony tail and dress like an old hippy before anyone would ever be fooled.

Getting back to the point why we get more pleasure from owning old steel bikes; it's partly about making a conscious decision to reject the throwaway world where you just click your mouse and a mass-produced far-east import miraculously turns up shortly afterwards. Riding old stuff is a different mindset, and involves a bit of effort and commitment. You have to look out for it, acquire it, then spend some time fixing & fettling. Aside from the fact old bikes are just generally better in every way, there's the satisfaction you don't get from just buying bikes like you would your weekly shopping.

I used to use my dad's old carlton from the 60's as my only transport (rather than use the mountain bike with it's 32x16 single speed)

It had been re-painted badly by myself but other than that was fairly original - ish or looked it

to most other people it was just an 'old bike'

Warny

Über Member
Relatively short commute for me but I enjoy riding either my 1987 Falcon Cotswold or 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport to work. I have a much more recent flat-bar bike but it's not quite the same:smile:

Top Bottom