Commuting on a unicycle..... thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of getting a Unicycle to commute my 8 miles to work on..... My thinking behind it is....

- A 50 percent less chance of punctures.
- No brake blocks to wear out
- No chain to come off or change every thousand or so miles.
- Easy storage at work.
- I can combine it with my other hobby of balloon modelling and become a part time clown at weekends...

Thoughts on pros and cons please....

vickster

Legendary Member
Can't see it, where will you put your commuting essentials of panniers and mudguard? :tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I looked into unicycling last year and there are more expensive and good quality ones that are capable and used for some heavy duty distances and rugged terrain - MTB unicycling is a thing, they must be tapped, but yeah go for it
Decent rucksack,
Foldable cycling poncho you could. tuck under you or modify with thigh, saddle straps to act as a mudguard in the wet.
Lights: you could put some on the stem at legal height to cover the on bike requirement and maybe have a helmet ono to put some higher level , better and more directional ones onto your head.
No doubt a saddlebag could.fit for travelling light days just for some basic tools and a tube.

I think it's eminently do'able even if the date has something to do with the question?

That would be so cool commuting on a unicorn... I'm dead jealous makes my idea look really stupid now....can you let me know if you find a supplier... Maybe Giant do a Giant Unicorn2 with a carbon horn

As you say, no chain wear, 0% chance of punctures, no brake blocks, you won't have to wear lycra and if you get a close pass, the unicorn can insert it's horn somewhere painful. Come to think of it, it could be ideal.

classic33

Leg End Member
All the way from Wales.
New TT Bike.jpg

adds21

Rider of bikes
I do realise the date, however commuting 8 miles by unicycle really is doable - As long it's a reasonably sized wheel unicycle (29" or 36"). I've commuted 10 miles each way on several occasions, and used to regularly commute 4 miles each way off road on a mountain unicycle.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I do realise the date, however commuting 8 miles by unicycle really is doable - As long it's a reasonably sized wheel unicycle (29" or 36"). I've commuted 10 miles each way on several occasions, and used to regularly commute 4 miles each way off road on a mountain unicycle.

Okay its that day of year..... So I'm not going to commute on one..... but i did look on Amazon for a laugh and for £35 I can buy one and pop to to the shops on it and carry it round the local co-op

adds21

Rider of bikes
Okay its that day of year..... So I'm not going to commute on one..... but i did look on Amazon for a laugh and for £35 I can buy one and pop to to the shops on it and carry it round the local co-op

Do it! For £35 you can't go wrong, although I can guarantee you'll want something better if you get into it (http://www.unicycle.uk.com/ is probably the best place to go - no affiliation etc.) - Unicycles are like bikes, you need one for every occasion. I think I have 7 in my garage at the moment, some with big 3" tyres and brakes, some with little 23mm tyres and an aero rim.

You need to be prepared to put in about 10 to 15 hours of pain and falling with little or no return, but once you start getting a few revolutions it's a fun sport. I'm mostly into muni (mountain unicycling). Nothing beats overtaking MTBers uphill off-road!

OP
OP
simon the viking
Do it! For £35 you can't go wrong, although I can guarantee you'll want something better if you get into it (http://www.unicycle.uk.com/ is probably the best place to go - no affiliation etc.) - Unicycles are like bikes, you need one for every occasion. I think I have 7 in my garage at the moment, some with big 3" tyres and brakes, some with little 23mm tyres and an aero rim.

You need to be prepared to put in about 10 to 15 hours of pain and falling with little or no return, but once you start getting a few revolutions it's a fun sport. I'm mostly into muni (mountain unicycling). Nothing beats overtaking MTBers uphill off-road!

Tempted but I think Mrs V might have something to say about the idea........

Top Bottom