Commuting on carbon

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ricnott, 19 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. ricnott

ricnott Well-Known Member

I currently have a 2009 Trek 1.2 and a 2012 Trek Madone 4.5.

Due to constraints at home I am having to look into getting rid of one of these. I am looking at keeping the Madone and putting my commuting wheels onto it for week days and using the carbon wheels for sportives etc.

Does any one have any experience / pearls of wisdom / thoughts on using a full carbon bike for commuting?

Rack is not an issue as I use a rucksack and commute about 13 miles each way about 3 times a week.

2. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

I don't see the problem other than the ideal all-weather all-year round commuting bike would have disc brakes, in my experience. I often ride my carbon rim-braked bike to work on dry days but prefer not to chew through the rims with salt & muck 3x per week in the winter.

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I see more carbon on my SE London commute then any other frame material.

4. rivers

rivers Senior Member

I commute on my carbon bike if it's going to be dry. Why wouldn't I? It's a fun bike to ride

5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Just get some winter wheels maybe and keep it clean?

Also, bear in mind where you'll be locking it up, is it secure but also will it get bashed by people locking their bikes up etc. Decent stands rather than wheelbenders?

Rucksack for 13 miles, ugh, but each to their own!

mjr likes this.
  6. davidphilips

davidphilips Senior Member

A picture says a thousand words.

Attached Files:

7. hennbell

hennbell Über Member

Only concern is security of the storage location, besides that If owned a carbon, campagnolo super record eps equipped super bike with deep section wheels I would ride that to work every day.

GlenBen likes this.
  8. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

I have one bike I use for commuting and road riding. If I had the funds I would have separate bikes, as commuting in all weathers does tend to run a bike into the ground more quickly.

9. Never caused me a problem when I used to ride carbon :okay:

10. MiK1138

MiK1138 Über Member

I use my Carbon in the summer and the Hybrid in Winter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice