Commuting Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Current wheels are 32h tiagra hubs with Jalco DRX3000 30mm rims. They came on Claude Butler Vicenza but after 7500miles, in all weathers over 18mth, front rim is pretty worn tho' wear indicator is still showing. The hubs still seem completely smooth. Never pinged a spoke nor had need to tru wheels either.

Recommendations from previous threads are usually Fulcrum 7 and Shimano R501 at the budget end.

Question is would i get stronger more durable wheel with something like these with higher spoke counts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru-build...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item460dc4388a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-Part-Sh...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f205d0f7d

I like idea of a 30mm rim as suggests to me would be stronger than standard profile.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.
Cheers

Nebulous

Guru
I have the shimano 501s with the 30mm rim.

I don't have much to compare them with, but they have been considerably better than the stock wheels on my allez.

Manonabike

Über Member
If you are happy with the hubs and they are still good then I'd rebuild the wheels with new rims and spokes.

I rebuilt a set for a friend this weekend and it worked out very cost effective.

D

Deleted member 20519

My Fulcrum 7's are still as true as the day I got them and I've been over some seriously nasty potholes. Let me know if you need to borrow a spare wheel, I've got a front one lying around that I'm not using right now :thumbsup:

Mike!

Guru
Another vote for Fulcrum 7, my bike came with them on and although i haven't done big mileage as yet they have survived some pretty big hits during my commute (when i have used the best bike for that!). Would like them to be a bit quieter on freewheel but that's my only complaint.

Thinking about upgrading them now to something lighter but not sure what to get myself yet!

D

Deleted member 20519

Another vote for Fulcrum 7, my bike came with them on and although i haven't done big mileage as yet they have survived some pretty big hits during my commute (when i have used the best bike for that!). Would like them to be a bit quieter on freewheel but that's my only complaint.

Thinking about upgrading them now to something lighter but not sure what to get myself yet!

My Fulcrum wheels (2012 model) are very quiet. I was told that the freewheel was going to be very noisy but it is just a gentle click.

Mike!

Guru
I also have to say it's the one thing putting me off from going to the Fulcrum Racing 3 (noise!) but if they have all changed then maybe they are an option....

Top Bottom