Commuting Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Just purchased a set of 2013 Fulcrum Quattros. You can barely hear a click from the free hub. They've toned them right down.

My pal has a pair of the old Fulcrum ones and they're ridiculously loud.

Seems like the trend has changed

On the CC Eccosse ride, did you remember that awful deafening clicking noise coming from my wheel? Exactly ;)
Erm couldn't hear a thing over my cement mixer geartrain! :whistle:

Cyclist33

Just purchased a set of 2013 Fulcrum Quattros. You can barely hear a click from the free hub. They've toned them right down.

My pal has a pair of the old Fulcrum ones and they're ridiculously loud.

Seems like the trend has changed

Ditto the new Fulcrum R5s, although they're getting louder so maybe the packing grease is wearing off...

lejogger

Guru
Ditto the new Fulcrum R5s, although they're getting louder so maybe the packing grease is wearing off...
Possibly... I haven't actually used mine in anger yet. I tarted up the carbon bike with new tape and saddle, gave it a thoroughly good clean and lube, bought the new wheels, set them up so I'm all ready for the good spring weather...

I think it may be my fault that it snowed again.

Cyclist33

What drove the Quattros choice? Only reason I ask is coz I was going to get them but let Merlin cycles persuade me that the R5s were a better deal and that 35mm rims were unnecessary unless you were in a TT..?

At any rate I'm well happy with them and they do be very comfy and fast :smile:

lejogger

Guru
What drove the Quattros choice? Only reason I ask is coz I was going to get them but let Merlin cycles persuade me that the R5s were a better deal and that 35mm rims were unnecessary unless you were in a TT..?

At any rate I'm well happy with them and they do be very comfy and fast :smile:

I wanted an upgrade on the Ritchey Pros that came with the 2010 Boardman Team Carbon and was looking at a whole array. I've always quite liked Fulcrums after seeing the 1s that my pal has on his Enigma, but I didn't want to be spending £500+.

I came across a few reviews of the quattros including this one and they really caught my eye, seeming to be exactly what I was after. A well built all round wheelset that wouldn't break the bank, look good, and perform well on club runs and the occassional TT as I want to do a bit more racing this year.

I'm not taking it seriously enough to be forking out the big bucks on fancy elite gear. I'm not under any illusion that they're going to shave off many seconds as that's down to me and my legs, but Ive always felt the Ritcheys let the bike down.

I managed to pick them up from a French website while they were having a sale, and with a 10% anniversary discount and a favourable exchange rate they came in at less than £200. It was too good an offer to ignore.

Cyclist33

sulk. i got a puncture tonight on the inside track of the tube and determined the cause to be the rim joint, brand new fulcrum r5s. the join is not quite right and a very small sharp edge is going to cause problems. the tyres were free of foreign objects and the rim tape was fine, also i always check for pinches. furthermore the decals have started to peel away. never had this happen before, even on my three year old mtb thats been in the wars still has its wheel decals in tiptop nick. so i am going to have to return them. anyone any experience of merlin cycles returns process?

Top Bottom