Commuting when unwell help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoshM

So I commute about 8.5miles each way, leaving the house at 0530 or 1730 for My 12 hour shifts. At the weekend I came down with a cold which went right for the chest. I managed to cycle on Fri and Saturday but caved in and asked a colleague for a lift on Sunday and Monday as I don't own a car. I've been off the rest of this week, and am now feeling much better. I feel well enough to manage the cycle unlike the at the weekend but am concerned that I simply run myself down again and make myself 'relaspe'

Do I cycle, or do I ask my colleague to help me out again? My colleague is a nice guy, and would do it I'm sure, but I don't like to ask as I feel its my choice to cycle to work and I'm putting him out by asking,

steve50

Disenchanted Member
maybe just get one more lift into work before getting back on the bike, when I am full of cold I personally find getting out in the fresh air either on the bike or walking makes me feel a whole lot better than sitting in a warm house feeling all bunged up and miserable.

Schneil

Veteran
I'm sure I heard a rule "if it’s above the neck – it’s okay to train, if it’s below the neck – rest up ".

I'd 100% say it applies to cycling. I made the mistake of cycle commuting with a bad chest, and it made it worse! Sounds like the same happened to you.

On if you're OK to resume the commute. If you feel better and your chest is clear you should be OK, but you are your best judge.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Perhaps you could take it gently & if there are hills, get off & push for a short while ?

Six years and longer ago, following a winter bronchitis infection I would regularly get shortness of breath and post-viral asthma. I could not get a sentence out or walk up a hill. I had to pause when taking the rubbish out on a holiday in Portugal in Spring 2010, and I was stuck standing about in the car park at a christening on New Year's Day 2011 after everyone else walked up the hill to the church & left me carrying the baby in her car seat. I simply had too little lung capacity & relied on inhalers from time to time to ease the bronchioles.

Thankfully I found cycling slowly along would clear my lungs out and for the past five years I have not had any of these symptoms. I put this down to commuting to work sensibly and clearing out my head & nose as I go along rather than breathing all the gunk down into my lungs.

OP
OP
J

JoshM

Thanks guys. Spoke to my boss this afternoon, and we decided a weekend off work to recover would probably be for the best.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I tried to cycle commute last week with a chest cold aka coughing up lumps , tight chest and it made me worse.
Took the car the rest of the week as i was on nights so it was available and its taken me till really today to feel 100 % , been on the bike this week and just took it steady.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
My rule is, if you are not well enough to cycle to work, you are not well enough to be in work.
Excellent advice and this should be written into law somehow :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Excellent advice and this should be written into law somehow :smile:
Not at our place, they will have you counting nuts and bolts if they can and even get someone to pick you up.
Had 4 occasions of genuine illness a couple of years ago and i had a meeting with HR to "discuss " it .

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Not at our place, they will have you counting nuts and bolts if they can and even get someone to pick you up.
Had 4 occasions of genuine illness a couple of years ago and i had a meeting with HR to "discuss " it .
This is exactly why it needs to be written into law!

Top Bottom