Commuting with a laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've found myself cycling to work less and less frequently over the last few months. I'm having to do more and more work from home, which means lugging my rather heavy (2.6kg) and bulky 15" CAD laptop backwards and forwards. I've been keeping up the cycling in other areas but have missed my cycle commute and decided to do something about it :laugh: I did some googling and some searching on here and decided to get myself a laptop sleeve and an Ortlieb pannier bag - until now I've been commuting with an expandable top bag only which is big enough for a change of clothes and my wallet but not a lot else.

Here's the sleeve I went for, ten pounds from Amazon...

And the laptop fitting snugly in the pannier bag, an Orlieb back roller urban line...

The bag is technically too narrow at the bottom according to the specs, the laptop is around 40mm wider, but theres easily enough depth to soak it up so it barely notices when its done up. Here it is with the rest of my gear packed in and a few extra bits and bobs to pack it out :laugh:

Next step was to adjust the hooks on the bag to fit the rack...

I think I've adjusted them correctly, it seems pretty solid but I guess only time will tell :laugh: The specs suggest they can cope with 7kg per side so I should be well within that :laugh: It looks the part, I chose the urban line as I will be using it for work and its just a little bit smarter, although once its filthy dirty it'll probably make very little difference :laugh: Still, at £55 with a voucher code I couldn't resist, seems pretty good value to me with a 5 year warranty to boot.

I had to mount it quite a way back to stop heel strikes but it isn't too bad. I must admit, the weight of the bike with it fitted does somehow seem to be more than the combined weight of the bag and bike seperately :wacko::laugh: I guess I'll get used to that :laugh: All being well I'll cycle in tomorrow and test it out ^_^

Slick

Guru
Looks good, I cycle with a laptop all the time although I suspect it may be a bit smaller as I do use panniers from time to time but more usually just a rucksack.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's a chunky lump at 386 x 264 x 26mm, I certainly don't have a backpack big enough for it but I'm sure there are some available. I just preferred the idea of having it strapped to the bike rather than to me :laugh: I would probably feel differently about it if it were smaller and lighter :okay:

upandover

Guru
Ortlieb bags are fantastic. I often commute with my laptop (though much smaller), or my entire overnight laptop bag, including a team of manuals, tablet and various other bits. The bag seems to soak up the weight, and has of course never leaked.

I must check my bolts, but I've found locktite well worth it when it comes to holding things right.

I am commuting more with a lap top too these days. I'm squeezing it + sleeve + laptop bag + my kit into a Ortlieb Sports Packer plus panniers but I prefer to use the back pack adapter just feels a better balance there. It adds about 5kg.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been putting off trying it out for a while but this morning I got the opportunity and grabbed it. To be honest most of the time I didnt notice the laptop or pannier bag was there, so that's gotta be a success :okay::laugh: The only times it made itself known were over the bumps, I should probably do a better job of avoiding them when carrying it in future :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I've been putting off trying it out for a while but this morning I got the opportunity and grabbed it. To be honest most of the time I didnt notice the laptop or pannier bag was there, so that's gotta be a success :okay::laugh: The only times it made itself known were over the bumps, I should probably do a better job of avoiding them when carrying it in future :laugh:

View attachment 491989
Pretty much how I travel most of the time but I do feel the weight when I'm trying to put a bit of effort in over a hill etc.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Pretty much how I travel most of the time but I do feel the weight when I'm trying to put a bit of effort in over a hill etc.

I did struggle up the hills more than usual but I expect that's more to do with 6 weeks out of the saddle than the laptop :laugh:

Top Bottom