Commuting with Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I think the takeaway from the video is that carbon will be fine for commuting (unless you're doing some really weird riding and subjecting your bike to the kind of extreme forces used in the tests). :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Tangoup51

The vid is not misleading - in fact it couldn't be more straightforward. It is intended to highlight the differences in breaking force and that's what it does.

How do you propose it is more straightforward? The video is designed to highlight the additional strength carbon produces over the alloy frame but in reality they're the same as I said before, the carbon bike starts delamanting dangerously at the same forces an alloy bike starts necking the tubes, making both equally as null and void to ride. - This isn't something the video shows you but something you have to find out for yourself hence why it is not straight forward.

S-Express

the carbon bike starts delamanting dangerously at the same forces an alloy bike starts necking the tubes,

That's one hell of an assumption. Unless you have access to some specific post-test analysis data that is not contained in the video, you simply don't know that.

Tangoup51

That's one hell of an assumption. Unless you have access to some specific post-test analysis data that is not contained in the video, you simply don't know that.

Did you even watch the video? you can physically hear it when the carbon frame goes beyond 900 lbs.

"hell of an assumption" :laugh:

S-Express

Did you even watch the video? you can physically hear it when the carbon frame goes beyond 900 lbs.

"hell of an assumption" :laugh:

I watched the video and heard the noises. Unfortunately, I lack your level of scientific insight, which enables me to pinpoint the precise origin of the noises and identify the precise reason for their occurrence. I also lack your level of scientific conjecture which would enable me to predict the outcome should the frame continue to be ridden.

Tangoup51

I watched the video and heard the noises. Unfortunately, I lack your level of scientific insight, which enables me to pinpoint the precise origin of the noises and identify the precise reason for their occurrence. I also lack your level of scientific conjecture which would enable me to predict the outcome should the frame continue to be ridden.

Your attempts to hide your mistake through a beefed-up vocabulary don't impress me. You would certainly hear those noises if you knew I wasn't asking you to listen to them, there's no need to overly complicate a very simple and logical thing.

Okay, sure! Let me grab one of their carbon test frames that was One Lbs away from breaking, nevermind the Immense delamination internally! Because you can't predict what would happen if you rode it, because we lack the scientific understanding! our ears are just useless. :okay:

S-Express

Yes, but youre deliberately misinterpreting them

Pardon?

I'm calling them 'noises' and not attributing a cause to them, as there is no obvious evidence. You, on the other hand, are attributing a very specific cause to them with no obvious evidence - other than your own assumptions.

So, which of us is 'deliberately misinterpreting'..??

Tangoup51

Pardon?

I'm calling them 'noises' and not attributing a cause to them, as there is no obvious evidence. You, on the other hand, are attributing a very specific cause to them with no obvious evidence - other than your own assumptions.

So, which of us is 'deliberately misinterpreting'..??

No obvious evidence? Did you literally just call hearing those noises no obvious evidence to the delamination

Lol oooooooooooooooooooookaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

P.S. I wouldn't be the only one to hear those noises and admit what the cause is. Some things are common sense, but whatever helps you sleep at night, right?

S-Express

No obvious evidence? Did you literally just call hearing those noises no obvious evidence?

Lol oooooooooooooooooooookaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::ohmy:

Evidence of a noise is evidence that there is a noise. It is not evidence of anything else. It certainly isn't evidence which justifies your highly detailed analysis below. Unless, as I said earlier, you have access to some kind of test data that is not contained within the video. Which I seriously doubt.

and at the same pressure the carbon frame starts delamanting internally - you can hear individual fibers breaking away, this wouldn't make it safe to ride in the test of time, though that can vary.

No offence mate, but you'd make a sh1t scientist.

Tangoup51

Evidence of a noise is evidence that there is a noise. It is not evidence of anything else. It certainly isn't evidence which justifies your highly detailed analysis below. Unless, as I said earlier, you have access to some kind of test data that is not contained within the video. Which I seriously doubt.

No offence mate, but you'd make a sh1t scientist.

so when you hear a loud distant bang on the 5th of November you wouldn't believe it's a firework until you saw a guy in a lab coat giving you sheets of data?

And trust me, i'd make a better scientist than a scientist that doesn't operate with the great laws of common sense. You're only arguing this because you know i'm right, and it's shameful that you can't even bring yourself to admit when you're wrong. Hide behind this "oh but i dont have enough data" all you wish, but it won't work because if you know even a pennys worth about carbon, you know what that noise would be. - It's the basic fundamental of Carbons properties, theres no mistaking something so basic, unless you Try to mistake it.

S-Express

so when you hear a loud distant bang on the 5th of November you wouldn't believe it's a firework until you saw a guy in a lab coat giving you sheets of data?

And trust me, i'd make a better scientist than a scientist that doesn't operate with the great laws of common sense. You're only arguing this because you know i'm right, and it's shameful that you can't even bring yourself to admit when you're wrong. Hide behind this "oh but i dont have enough data" all you wish, but it won't work because if you know even a pennys worth about carbon, you know what that noise would be.

There you go then. Expert conjectural scientist has spoken. Meanwhile, I'll stick to the facts, if that's ok.

picture-id474963224?k=6&m=474963224&s=612x612&w=0&h=ZFUKk5h4bN_ZmbdEJQKbNJMdePeydCLgrioh4OcLhQk=.jpg

Top Bottom