Commuting without breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
I went out this morning grabbed half a twix and drunk about 300ml in the 1st 2 miles.
Ended up having to take 5 half way up a steep hill feeling dizzy and puking.

Maybe better to not eat or drink next time.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I am quite a gassy person and am forever having to relieve the pressure from either end. :biggrin: When I'm cycling and feel the need to burp, it often seems to get 'stuck' and the trapped wind makes me feel REALLY sick.

Had a bad case of it just after one of the food stops on last year's PfS - steep incline just after getting back on the bike and I really thought I was going to heave as the wind wouldn't come up. Had to stop for a few secs so that I could let go with an almighty rolling rift and then I was feeling tip-top again and on my way.

That's why I can never eat in the morning before I set off on the bike.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
usually you are in rush to get out of the door to work.. late out of bed for any number of reasons.. unless your commute is from 1 side of the pennines to t'other.. a commute is just a commute and not a training ride and hence you can stay on the pace feedless but prob not coffeeless until you get to work.. and I'm guessing that 99% of commutes are under the hour? or am I mistaken...?

((You really dont want to bonk thats a given.. it aint nice.. when you do it properly of course and not just go through the motions of mars bar deprivations.))

OP
OP
garrilla

garrilla

It was just a question really but...

the following strategy on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning, when glycogen store levels are low: consume coffee or caffeine equivalent to 2 or 3 cups of coffee, run or cycle at a casual pace (60% of max heart rate) for 20-90 minutes, have a normal breakfast right after exercising.

I would have though most commutes are between 20-90 minutes at 60-75% of MHR, so drinking coffeee and not eating until afterwards (if at all) would make one bonk...

Well I used to eat before setting out, its an hour each way at 17 mph. Then I got Nicole Cookes book, and she says you have enough glycogen in the legs for at 1 hour to 1 hr 15 mins.

So i get up get in the lycra, and have one cup of coffee and head straight out, never bonked yet. I eat my cornflakes at my desk prior to work, then have my usual lunch sand wich and pack of french fries if peckish.

Cycle home again as normal, and thats it .

When I get home I eat even less as I have no appetite, but what ever I eat I am sure I burn off the next morning.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Breakfast prep time is extra time that could be spent in bed! I cycle in to work on an empty stomach but normally drink milk when I arrive and sometimes cereal.

Top Bottom