Commuting without breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rarely had breakfast before my commute in the last 28 years depending on what time I start I guess.

cannondale boy

Über Member
It just all depends on how long your commute will be? I always have a bowl of porridge about half an hour before setting out the door, and my commute is six miles.

If its just a mile or two i wouldn't bother. I would probably have a banana and that would fill me up till lunch time. Nobody can tell you what to eat, your body knows best.

jimboalee

cannondale boy said:
It just all depends on how long your commute will be? I always have a bowl of porridge about half an hour before setting out the door, and my commute is six miles.

If its just a mile or two i wouldn't bother. I would probably have a banana and that would fill me up till lunch time. Nobody can tell you what to eat, your body knows best.

Strange you should say this because when on a major stage race, pros will be fed to a strict diet by the teams nutritionalist.

Everything will be eaten ( forced down ) when it is best for the riders - who have no choice.

In our world however, it is a good idea to take heed of what the pros do for trips over 100 miles.

eatmydust

cannondale boy said:

I always get a stitch if i eat before i cycle.(and im just not hungry first thing in the morning) but i take my breakfast to work and usually tuck into a nice big bowl of porridge when i get to work with a pint of tea, and that will last until lunch time. .. not like other poxy lightweight cereals that fill you for about 2 hours. Oats rock!

Brahan

Über Member
My ride to work is between 9 and 15 miles depending on the route I take and because I like to ride pretty hard in the morning I have found that eating beforehand is just a bad idea. I prefer to run empty and scoff cereal when I get to work. Then I move onto coffee then loads of water through the day. Hydration is the key, whenever I feel crap/tired I just neck some water, although not always. There's a chocolate machine in the kitchen here and sometimes I just can't help myself.....snickers, mars, galaxy with bits of cookies in, bounty.......

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I just have toast, myself.

Sometimes I like marmalade, sometimes marmite.

J4CKO

XmisterIS said:
Ah!

(waggles cursory finger in the air)

That depends on what you eat at night! It's better to eat a light dinner early enough that it has been well-digested before you go to bed.

It is perfectly correct to say that sugary cereals (or sugary anything) give a blood-sugar spike followed by a dip.

The best way to eat is to avoid anything with refined sugar and refined carbs.

For breakfast, I have a banana + porridge oats without sugar - the oats combine with the sugar in the banana to form a complex carb that provides blood sugar slowy, thereby avoiding the spike/trough that makes you feel hungry and lacking in energy - I can go for miles and miles on that particular concoction!

Also, fresh fruit, raw nuts and as much raw veg as possible are important, with brown rice or wholewheat pasta. Mostly vegetarian food with a bit of good quality meat thrown in. And lots of fish.

Plus no alcohol, late nights or cigarettes or anything like that. No fizzy pop, no cakes, no crisps, etc.

Or just use cycling to justify all of the above !

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Interesting thread. I used to commute without breakfast specifically to start losing weight, which was successful. On admitting that mid-afternoon one day I nearly collapsed whilst standing talking to someone meant that I have now been nagged into having breakfast in the morning (when else would you have it though). I either eat cereal or take a banana to work and have that with the first beverage. This has cured the keeling over problem, but it is now much harder to keep the weight down!

Top Bottom