Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
a 7 mile ride to arrive by 9am does not sound that unpleasant - why not show us the start and end points and allow us to plan you a route?

jay clock

Massive member
He is in Derry which is NI I think... unless he commutes cross border from UK to NI. All his prices are in £s so I assume he is in NI

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I left my office job but kept my car going until i realised it was costing me £200+ a month and I wasn't using it enough to warrant that amount of money each month. It's still insured but I'm cancelling it on Monday so I'm semi-forced to use the bike (I love riding but need motivation sometimes).

Drivers in my area are normally OK, it's the pedestrians on the shared use path who are so oblivious to their surroundings that I dislike.

GOAB

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
He is in Derry which is NI I think... unless he commutes cross border from UK to NI. All his prices are in £s so I assume he is in NI
Teach me to skim read, same applies though maybe a student card / buss pass would save money long term.
Any car can be a big drain on finances.
Indeed my mum has offered me her car as she has been told she cant drive anymore and i had to turn it down as although its free the running costs i couldn't really afford ( and i like my bike :smile: )

OP
OP
SAB

SAB

It's been a few months now. I still have the car. We managed to fix the problem that caused this post to be made. I've got about £150 put aside for possible car problems and I hope that can be enough for 'most' things.

It's also Spring now, and I did buy a car bike carrier from Halfords. This weekend I'm hoping to get back out on the bike!

Cleaned, oiled the chain. Two new tubes for the tyres (thorns had their way with the originals) and dusted off the cob webs.

It's crazy that you are driving a car with an income as low as £6300, is that all student loans which is racked up debt? Regardless, a ridiculously high proportion of your income is going to transportation.

This website radically changed my line of thinking, sadly it came too late to me to make a change whilst I was studying, but it may yet help you: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/

I had the luxury of a well maintained car, and generous parents, but if I had to do it all again (being older and wiser) I would have pocketed those car maintenance, insurance and fuel expenses and bought an inexpensive road bike and commuted that way. As an adult in the working world I spend your level of your income on living expenses and invest the rest, and no, I no longer drive a car.

Also, for those fearful: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/06/13/bicycling-the-safest-form-of-transportation/

Yes, it's a US blog, but still relevant.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
This website radically changed my line of thinking, sadly it came too late to me to make a change whilst I was studying, but it may yet help you: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/
I think it's the attitude that starts to take hold as the cycling bug bites. I remember I used to take the car because I was working a long day/running ten minutes late/can't be arsed to get out of bed/maybe it will rain this evening. As I cycled more you find the excuses become weaker and the allure of 45 minutes in the saddle becomes irresistible. Now even if I'm running late I'd rather cycle like a maniac and flood work in my sweat then take the car.

Drago

Legendary Member
+1 for Mr Money Mustache. I'm a huge fan, not only of his financial planning, but of his philosophy on frivolity and waste. My sig is a MMM quote.

Top Bottom