Commutting through Newcastle City

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should be able to find a 'quiet' route

snorri

Legendary Member
You'll be fine, once you get into it. I went from commuting over 25 miles of quiet Shropshire lanes to eighteen miles of Black Country main roads and dual carriageways. It's actually really exhilerating when you get used to mixing with the "hard" traffic. The trick is to be assertive and confident - always claim your road space - and try and match the speed of the motorised traffic as closely as possible. But it's easier than it looks, honest. Let us know how you get on.

Cab

stopher83 said:
I normally commut on small quiet roads but i am just changing job and i have to cycle all the way through Newcastle to the Metrocentre. I am going to dread it.

I wouldn't fancy it... Where do you start out from?

OP
OP
S

stopher83

I think of more fun things to do be doing rather than cycle through london. Probably after getting used to it i might start to like it.

http://www.uk-cycling.org

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's all a matter of expectation, training and/or experience. Once you know how to ride there it's awesome!!

I'll second the recommendation for cyclecraft by John Franklin, it's a very good book.

BentMikey said:
It's all a matter of expectation, training and/or experience. Once you know how to ride there it's awesome!!

I'll second the recommendation for cyclecraft by John Franklin, it's a very good book.

Another one recommending cyclecraft! :evil:

Wolf04

stopher83 said:
I am starting from near the tyen tunnel.

Cheers for the info!!

http://www.uk-cycling.org

You have more potential routes than you could shake a stick at!
1. Follow the river using Howdon road/Walker road/City Road
2. Cross the river using the pedestrian/cycle tunnel and make your way to the Metro Centre missing out Newcastle altogether.
3. Head north and then use the Coast road into Newcastle , there are cycle paths on both sides.
If you follow the advice about confident riding and good positioning you will be fine.
Enjoy

Top Bottom