Compact Digital "Pocket" Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They are getting quite good now, phones. Far more competent than a few years ago.
Mine's the previous generation of Galaxy Zoom. 10x optical zoom, 16MP, Zenon flash, tripod mount. And it makes telephone calls.

Only downside is battery life; I carry a spare.

Mrs M

Guru
I have a Panasonic Lumix.
Great wee camera.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
This one seems to have an awful lot of zoom to it, which might come in handy:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-digital-camera-black-22064425-pdt.html#cat-0
£10 above budget tho...

I am not even sure what kind of difference it makes to have 8x optical zoom or 22x optical zoom :blush: but zoom sounds good - close up but far away.

concerning zoom generally: Optical zoom is good, it is the quality of the lens and its 'mechanical' ability to produce an acceptable image from distance. Digital zoom is computer trickery to enhance the image further once that 'mechanical' resolving power of the lens has been reached, generally poorer as it is playing games with the image captured not contributing to the capture of the image in the first instance. don;t be sucked in by 16 x must be twice as good as 8x. The quality of the lenses, materials and construction is a crucial factor in good photography.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I took my Panasonic Lumix to Brighton on a night ride a few hours ago. I thought I would try a panoramic dawn shot of the riders as they rested in a pretty historic town and whipped the camera out of my pocket to create a masterpiece.

Unfortunately even Panasonic have not come up with a solution to idiots forgetting to charge the camera battery.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
If you carry a contract mobile phone, and are due an upgrade you could look at a Samsung Galaxy Zoom. Digital camera with an android phone built in, rather than vice-versa. One less thing to carry.

My phone is a pile of steaming turd, it's a lottery if the camera works or not and when it does it sometimes decides not to store the resulting pics. But I'll bear your recommendation in mind when changing which is in several months time.

And O2 can stick their contract with awful coverage and service up their hoop!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My phone is a pile of steaming turd, it's a lottery if the camera works or not and when it does it sometimes decides not to store the resulting pics. But I'll bear your recommendation in mind when changing which is in several months time.

And O2 can stick their contract with awful coverage and service up their hoop!
I've seen a photo show up as broken in gallery but it's there on the SD card and on Dropbox (where I back 'em up when I've got wifi). If anything this model of Zoom is a little to eager to turn the camera on!

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I've never used a digital compact costing under a £100 that produced a sharp, well focused image straight out of the camera, no matter how many billion megapixels it had. In my experience lenses in cameras at this low price point tend to capture soft focus images that have to be sharpened up in photo editing software .
My favourite compact is an elderly Sony Cybershot that has only 5megapixels in its resolution armoury, and a 3x optical zoom, but its Zeiss lens produces sharp, perfectly exposed shots that only need editing if I need to crop or enlarge them.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
My favourite compact is an elderly Sony Cybershot that has only 5megapixels in its resolution armoury, and a 3x optical zoom, but its Zeiss lens produces sharp, perfectly exposed shots that only need editing if I need to crop or enlarge them.

Funny you should mention that; I spotted this one earlier and thought it looked decent value:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3386776.htm

I have moved away from the big zoom camera, and back to small and compact which was my original position - I want a small, light, compact camera; point and snap. The big zoom was not what I wanted, if it had been that's what I'd have put in the OP - I'm a sucker for being sucked-in and should stop being a twonk. :smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Funny you should mention that; I spotted this one earlier and thought it looked decent value:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3386776.htm

I have moved away from the big zoom camera, and back to small and compact which was my original position - I want a small, light, compact camera; point and snap. The big zoom was not what I wanted, if it had been that's what I'd have put in the OP - I'm a sucker for being sucked-in and should stop being a twonk. :smile:

That Sony looks pretty good, we've had Lumix and Ixus in the past, they're all pretty decent for that price range.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just pressed the "buy" button, and can collect from local Argos from tomorrow. :okay:
And picked up a soft case for it from ebay for £5. That's me sorted for wedding pics, and pics from Melrose 7s and Tour of Flanders :smile:

Have you sorted a memory card for it?

Top Bottom