"Compact" frames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

Hi there, looking into getting a road bike, have been reading non-stop for the past few weeks.

I noticed there are some nice "compact" road bikes, I'm guessing they are smaller frames, but why exactly? Is it for riders with a smaller reach or just a compact frame for those that like smaller bikes?

Also, I have £500 to play with, what would you recommend? I was looking at the Specialized Allez 18. It'll be my first road bike so I don't want to spend too much.

Cheers

ASC1951

Guru
To quote Sheldon Brown www.sheldonbrown.com

"Compact" road frames have sloping top tubes, and are intended to be used with a long seatpost. Compact frames are a little bit lighter than traditional ones, but this is partially offset by the weight of the longer seatpost. Some riders believe they are stiffer.
Manufacturers like them because they are more versatile in terms of fit. Usually 3 or 4 sizes are enough to fit 98% of customers. This saves a lot of money for a manufacturer who doesn't need to deal with so many SKUs.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

So is there any downside to riding a compact road bike? I'm quite small, 5'7" with short legs.

Would I be better off going for a compact bike for the stiffness?

yenrod

As far as i'm aware a compact is something with a seat-tube angle of no less than 74; short seat-tube; short top tube (generally).

They sit you VERY upright.

I like a steepish seat & head angle but a long TT + a bit lowish at the front.

If you want a sensible frame go custom.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FWIW, a Spesh Allez is a great starter bike and excellent value for money. If you can stretch to the Allez Sport you get Tiagra instead of Sora gears which is better IMO but no matter if you can't.

gavintc

Guru
yenrod said:
As far as i'm aware a compact is something with a seat-tube angle of no less than 74; short seat-tube; short top tube (generally).

This is just not the case. There are many compact frames with low profile. I have had 3 compact frames - none of which could be described as being 'upright'.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

rich p said:
FWIW, a Spesh Allez is a great starter bike and excellent value for money. If you can stretch to the Allez Sport you get Tiagra instead of Sora gears which is better IMO but no matter if you can't.

Good news is I am picking up my Spez Allez Sport tomorrow! :tongue:

At £599 I couldn't turn it down... great price for a bike with Tiagra groupset.

walker

if your over 5ft 10, you will find it easier to corner on a compact frame more than a standard tubed frame. i'm 6ft 2 and ride a compact for this exact reason

dodgy

I'm a fan of compact frames, I've had a few Giant TCRs over the years and now I have a Dolan compact. IMO they look better, too, I think that's because I started out in mountain biking and compact road bikes slightly echo the frame design of MTBs (small frame lots of seat tube showing).

All my compacts have not been described as upright, they've been no different to other bikes I've owned.

Dave.

Yenners - you're talking rubbish . Seat tube angles and 'effective' top tube lengths(most manufacturers will quote this) are no different to std frames. They will vary according to size just like on a std frame.

Same goes for head tube lenghts. Some of the sportive specific frames have slightly longer headtubes so you sit a bit more upright, but a race specific comapct will again be no different to a std race frame. Just have a look at the Colnago or Litespeed sites.

These days theres really no need to go custom unless you are very disproprionate in your measurments (eg very long back, long legss or short arms etc).

I've never bought a custom frame in nearly 30 years of cycling and have been very comfortable. But I know how to set up my bike.

I'd heartily recommend a compact. Slightly less weight, and perhaps marginally stiffer.

Good news is I am picking up my Spez Allez Sport tomorrow! :biggrin:

At £599 I couldn't turn it down... great price for a bike with Tiagra groupset.

I don't think you could have made a better chioce for a first bike.

Welcome to the land of empty wallets.................when you decide to go to the next level with a full carbon frame...........

OP
OP
P

Phixion

itisaboutthebike said:
I don't think you could have made a better chioce for a first bike.

Welcome to the land of empty wallets.................when you decide to go to the next level with a full carbon frame...........

I actually haven't picked it up yet, I'm shitting myself dropping £600 on my first bike in years.

I was actually about to buy a Dolan Mythos (carbon), brand new with shimano 105 groupset for £650.

I decided against buying it in the end due to it being carbon, I don't trust it'll last :wacko:

Top Bottom