Secondhand carbon frames - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Okay, we're talking reported from Ther Sun here, but they're claiming that it pays to be very careful buying a used carbon bike as apparently, it's very difficult to detect possible damage to the frame - until it fails with you on it. Not so much so with metal frames as it's easier to spot potential problems with suspect frames; weld cracks, dints on the frame etc.. Depends very much on the quality of the build of the carbon, as not all carbon frames are equal.
Observations please - ! :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe have a read of this recent discussion which discussed the merits or not of carbon
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/insanely-expensive-bikes.282388/

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have three carbon-fibre bikes, all bought second-hand. I’m no structural engineer but approached with common sense - a good look over, consider the overall condition of the frame and components, and a good tapping of all the tubes and joints to listen for possible changes. So far I have got away with it. At least you know it isn’t rusting or corroding from the inside out, which a metal frame could be.

Okay, we're talking reported from Ther Sun here, but they're claiming that it pays to be very careful buying a used carbon bike as apparently, it's very difficult to detect possible damage to the frame - until it fails with you on it. Not so much so with metal frames as it's easier to spot potential problems with suspect frames; weld cracks, dints on the frame etc.. Depends very much on the quality of the build of the carbon, as not all carbon frames are equal.
Observations please - ! :whistle:
Despite being reported by the Sun, this is an unfortunate attribute of carbon frames relative to other frames.

Its one reason why you never lend a carbon bike as you would not know if it had been dropped. If there is damage it might not be visible to the naked eye. It is also common knowledge that owners sell their dropped bike or one that has suffered an impact as it not longer structurally sound is a possibility. The only way is to check is to scan it. Select LBS can do scans.

I own bikes with different frame materials. The only bike that travels with me on a flight is a Ti. The carbon stays at home. Too many wayward baggage handlers out there who will win an olympic medal in curling.

But a beautiful frame to ride.

Wonder what the chances are of a new carbon frame carrying such a defect are ?

After all it could have got dropped in the shop ?

T4tomo

Guru

slim, but a new frame has a warranty, ebay bargain doesn't...

Also its not like carbon bikes are fragile, simply knocking it over isn't going to damage it. but a impact from an unlikely angle, or a sharp edge etc can damage it more than you would expect from a metal frame.

davidphilips

Veteran
Pay your money and take a chance buying used? Every one knows that a used carbon frame is a gamble but same can be said about a alloy, steel or titanium frame with carbon forks? My view would be avoid a used carbon frame or bike, only way to be sure its %100 would be a scan but then again some new carbon frames have there faults?
Not advising any one to buy a carbon and a scan is highly recommended, if you do but buy one or even if you already own a carbon bike my advice would be to check it by pressing firmly all over and as long as theres no strange noise or soft spots chances are its ok but remember your life could depend on it.

Mburton1993

I bought this second hand carbon frame last April, I've done 1850ish miles on it so far and so far it hasn't split in half. Although I did scratch the paint work in Liverpool last July, that was annoying.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Former CycleChat member bromptonfb ended up unconscious in hospital after his new CF MTB frame snapped under him! :eek:

Cannondale have a recall notice on one particular edition of their CAADX model - some of the CF forks have been failing due to a manufacturing defect. (I have one of those bikes which I need to get sorted out!)

Landsurfer

Veteran
My friend John buys non branded carbon frames onto which he builds his time trial bikes ......
Quality kit, Toray product.
He rides them for 2 TT seasons .......
Then cuts them up and drops them into the BIFFA bin at work ...
Like me he is an Aerospace Engineer with many years of working with carbon structures in primary, secondary and tertiary stress applications.

Have to say i agree with him.

Top Bottom