Secondhand carbon frames - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
F1 and other racing cars are made from carbon fibre. they are arguably are subject to more stresses than bike forks.....

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...ad-bike-2020---red---s-m-l-frames-348526.html

At £450 many of the buyers will just be looking for a bike and they won't be treating their bikes gently, yet Halfords are still happy to offer them CF forks.
It's got toe-clips! That's a bargain!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Presumably that explains the safety car periods while marshals sweep carbon-fibre fragments off the track.
no sure any cars have spontaneously broken apart though, per the fork doom-mongers hypothesis. sweeping up is after contact like ramming your front wing into someone elses rear end

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
F1 and other racing cars are built with safety structures around the driver in the event of an accident. Not so with bikes.
My own concerns over carbon fibre frames/forks aren't worries about their strength. More so about how they break.
The only frame that has ever developed a fault on me was a crack in the ds chainstay of a steel subframe on a fs bike. It creaked. It showed visually after a wash (this is why you wash bikes!)
A carbon fibre frame/fork doesn't creak. It doesn't go floppy before failing. It just snaps. No warning.
You couldn't pay me enough to ride that crap.

Landsurfer

Veteran
F1 and other racing cars are built with safety structures around the driver in the event of an accident. Not so with bikes.
My own concerns over carbon fibre frames/forks aren't worries about their strength. More so about how they break.
The only frame that has ever developed a fault on me was a crack in the ds chainstay of a steel subframe on a fs bike. It creaked. It showed visually after a wash (this is why you wash bikes!)
A carbon fibre frame/fork doesn't creak. It doesn't go floppy before failing. It just snaps. No warning.
You couldn't pay me enough to ride that crap.
Their not crap.
Carbon fibre structures they are immensely strong in the correct application. Thats the rub .. it’s the application that matters and cycle forks are not in my top 5 for appropriate applications.
Manufactures are drawn to the lightest new shiney tech to give them a USP for their sales programs.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Their not crap.
Carbon fibre structures they are immensely strong in the correct application. Thats the rub .. it’s the application that matters and cycle forks are not in my top 5 for appropriate applications.
Manufactures are drawn to the lightest new shiney tech to give them a USP for their sales programs.
Explain this then...

He rides them for 2 TT seasons .......
Then cuts them up and drops them into the BIFFA bin at work ...

F1 and other racing cars are made from carbon fibre. they are arguably are subject to more stresses than bike forks.....

Surely not a fair comparison anyway as F1 is high end low volume manufacturing where as bicycles are produced in far higher volumes in very low cost factories. No point being alarmist though most CF forks are fine and safe the issues come in due to probably 4% of fork production probably being less than ideal and perhaps a small amount perhaps 0.5% percent very dangerous. I think the industry accepts something like up to 2% failure rate before recalling frames and forks, maybe that has changed. Lighter riders etc will have less issues. As I've said previously when you look at bicycle recalls CF forks make up a high percentage despite being low volume sellers compared to many other types of forks and it seems like just about every brand has had CF fork recalls at some point. Just put in any major brand you can think of. I'll try a random one myself. Giant are known as one of the best manufacturers by far and a supplier of high end bikes for many other brands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=giant+carbon+fork+recall

It's just the nature of material. It's hand assembled and relies on everyone along the line of production to be competent and not make an error.

It certainly doesn't mean all CF forks are dangerous but it is just tricky for the end consumer to be sure. If they buy s/hand they may not know its history, people at home can't scan CF forks and people can over-tighten the fork steerer and damage it. In the past a lot of CF fork failures were caused by the bonding failing between the CF blades and the aluminium steerer tube. Any hair or dirt in a CF layup can act as a cutting force over time as the forks are constantly flexed back and forth. So this acts as a sort of fatigue of the forks as you use them. Anyway Luescher Technik channel on youtube is a great resource for information on CF frames and forks.

Top Bottom