Compact or triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
For me the triple is more useful when the incline changes.The front change gives a very useful and quick gear changes whilst a double is less accommodating.I fancied buying an Alfine 11 hub but it was really the lack of this flexibility that stopped me.

I have the 2009 2.5 Defy triple. Could have had a compact but went for the extra ratio options - but as I've got fitter I rarely use the granny ring now. But I think it was the right option for me. Love the bike too. Well made, quiet, a joy to ride.

Andy

How good are you at going up hills and how steep are they? I have a triple because I was fat and young when I got my road bike, now I'm thin and older I wish I only had two as three just gives you more bits to go wrong, and I very rarely use the small chainring, even when I lived in Sheffield.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
So I'm looking at the giant defy 4 and seriously considering purchasing, there is a compact model for £525 or a triple for £550, would someone be able to explain to me the difference and why I should (or shouldn't) spend an extra £25 for triple,
I had this dilemma when I was buying my new bike earlier in the year, but went for one with a triple. I was beginning to think it might have been the wrong choice because I hardly ever used the granny ring, but then I took it to Whitby on holiday last week. Most hills there seem to be 1-in-5, 1-in-4 and even 1-in-3; was I glad of that little ring?

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Thanks for all the replies, think it looks like triple then.

@David K, I do like Claud Butlers, especially the Roubaix but I don't think it allows me to fix on a pannier and mudguard (Which is a reason why I'm choosing the defy 4, so I can use it for some light touring).

GrasB

Veteran
If there are a lot of hills and flats then go for the triple, more range of gears and better than a compact imo.
As long as you want to stay within fairly typical gearing ranges then the gearing range of a compact & triple is actually very close due to the fact that gearing range is limited by the rear derailleurs total tooth capacity (typically a compact gives the same gear range as a triple with 1t less required of the rear mech's capacity)

Top Bottom