Compact or triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seigi

So I'm looking at the giant defy 4 and seriously considering purchasing, there is a compact model for £525 or a triple for £550, would someone be able to explain to me the difference and why I should (or shouldn't) spend an extra £25 for triple,

Thanks.

ChrisRicho

More gears on the triple.

I wouldn't pay the extra personally.

I have had a ride on that bike though and its nice

R_Z

Not an expert by any means. I have a compact. To me it is a smoother transition between 2 cranks and easier shifting (IMPO). Having a triple is preferred by many who do some hill climbing. I don't see why you wouldn't spend the extra and grab the triple. Should be just fine.

GrasB

Veteran
A compact has 2 widely spaced chainrings but will have a marginally lighter chainset (we're talking around 100grams if that). A triple will have 3 closely spaced chainrings & potentially wider gearing (though it does depend what rear gears you have). Some prefer triples others prefer compacts but the safest bet is the triple.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
With a triple you will usually have some easier gears for hill climbing compared to a compact. Some people will say that you shouldn't need them and that you should just get fitter. I have a triple......:rolleyes:

david k

Hi
So I'm looking at the giant defy 4 and seriously considering purchasing, there is a compact model for £525 or a triple for £550, would someone be able to explain to me the difference and why I should (or shouldn't) spend an extra £25 for triple,

Thanks.

i like the defy, i asked at a local bike shop and they said your paying for the name, he said i could get a claud butler with same spec for much less, can anyone shed any light if this is true or not?

chewy

I have a Defy 3 (same bike really) and ummm'd and ahhhh'd over the same, but in the end played it safe and had the triple.

Best to have the extra gears and not use them, than to not have them and want them
laugh.gif

Im loving mine by the way!

ohnovino

Large Member
I'd go for the triple. As well as the granny ring for climbing, you get a larger big ring too (52 versus 50 on the compact).

Rapples

Guru
You made a wise choice, every one knows yellow bikes go up hills better ;)

FWIW, I had 53/39 on my bike for years, with a 13-23, but put a compact on (along with a 13-28) as I was going up Ventoux. I wish I'd changed it years ago, I've put the 13-23 back now, but will leave the compact :thumbsup:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You made a wise choice, every one knows yellow bikes go up hills better ;)

FWIW, I had 53/39 on my bike for years, with a 13-23, but put a compact on (along with a 13-28) as I was going up Ventoux. I wish I'd changed it years ago, I've put the 13-23 back now, but will leave the compact :thumbsup:

Oh yes the colour defo helps :smile:

I want something like a 11-28 on the rear but it's going to mean a wheel and shifter change so I will live with it for the time being. Either that or I might put a large front cog on it for the flats.

Top Bottom