Compact to Triple - what to change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
I have a Genesis CdF with a compact chainset 50/34 and the cassette is 11-30. My problem is that I am old, weak and battling to get anywhere near spinning up steep hills. Instead I am straining and wheezing up at 2-5mph – not a pretty sight.

My first thought was to change the rear cassette to HG61 which offers 11-32, 11-34 or 12-36. I wasn’t sure if the rear mech could cope with 12-36 and would I get a big enough boost in the low gears.

My next thought was a triple chainset FC3503 which is 50/39/30.

I have just visited my two favourite LBS to discuss the problem and both agreed the triple was a better option but they varied completely on what needed to be done:

LBS1 said new shifter, new front mech, new chain and the triple.
LBS2 said new bottom bracket and the triple; everything else would be fine.

Can anyone say which option is correct and any other thoughts are most welcome.

KneesUp

Guru
If your shifting for the front is indexed, you need a new changer because obviously with only two clicks you can only use two cogs.

You won't need a new chain as the old one is long enough - but perhaps LBS1 noted it was worn, or suggest it so you have a new chain to match your new crankset so it will shift smoother. If your old chain is new it will be fine.

Changer - not sure. What model is on your Croix?

I can't see the need for a new BB - I think I'm right in saying that the chainline will sort itself out as long as the BB is right for the frame. Perhaps LBS2 had a crankset in mind (or in stock) that is a different fitting to the BB you have (e.g. JIS in stock but you have BB30 - no idea of the spec of your bike, but you get my point?)

So in summary:

Shifter - if it's indexed, yes
Mech - possibly - depends on model
Chain - not necessarily but might be wise
BB - no, unless new crankset is a different type than the current one

But then I could be wrong too :smile:

Also - new changer cable. I bet none of them mentioned that, but in my experience you'll never get it off the old mech without it fraying :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a Genesis CdF with a compact chainset 50/34 and the cassette is 11-30. My problem is that I am old, weak and battling to get anywhere near spinning up steep hills. Instead I am straining and wheezing up at 2-5mph – not a pretty sight.

My first thought was to change the rear cassette to HG61 which offers 11-32, 11-34 or 12-36. I wasn’t sure if the rear mech could cope with 12-36 and would I get a big enough boost in the low gears.

My next thought was a triple chainset FC3503 which is 50/39/30.

I have just visited my two favourite LBS to discuss the problem and both agreed the triple was a better option but they varied completely on what needed to be done:

LBS1 said new shifter, new front mech, new chain and the triple.
LBS2 said new bottom bracket and the triple; everything else would be fine.

Can anyone say which option is correct and any other thoughts are most welcome.

I've changed my Croix de Fer to a triple.
I needed the following:-
1) a new left Tiagra triple brifter,
2) a new front Tiagra triple mech,
3) a triple Tiagra crankset, 50/39/30.
4) spacers for the crankset, for some reason they do not come with the crankset.

The new lowest gear would be similar to the old lowest gear. 27 v 30.6, not much easier for so much cost.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not if the cassette remains the same.
You sure?

If you add on a triple with a smallest ring of 30 (was 34) the difference between big-big and little-little will increase by 4 teeth. Could this extra exceed the capacity of the rear mech to cope with the extremes and call for a long cage one?

Not looking for an argument btw, just askin' I'm not really sure myself.

Edit: Cross post with @RebornBumbler

KneesUp

Guru
It depends on the 'total capacity' of the derallieur.

Total capacity = (biggest chainwheel - smallest chainwheel) + (biggest sprocket - smallest sprocket)

MisterStan

Label Required
Well strictly speaking you shouldn't cross chain, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. If it was me, i'd try with the original first and see what happens....

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks for all the help, you can always rely on Cyclechat for expert help. I have just been in to a third LBS (Gear) and they said much of what you all said. They also told me to think about the cost vs results and said a better option would be changing the rear mech and cassette, or just ride harder!

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Yeah, it's changing the shifter that makes it expensive I guess.

There is a lot to be said for friction shifters :smile:
Quite agree! They are still a good option. And yes, the shifters have to be bought in a pair, plus the chainset is expensive. I'm off to watch the TdeF front my daughter's front garden in York and will think about a new rear cassette and mech when I get back.

Again, thanks to everyone for the information, makes things much clearer for me.

anyuser

Über Member
The friend I cycled the C2C with last weekend had his Croix de Fer fitted with an 11-34 cassette and longer cage rear mech. He had asked the LBS for a triple and they suggested this. He got on fine with it.

Top Bottom