Compact to Triple - what to change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kins

Über Member
I ride a road Tiagra triple, because my lung capacity isn't great, also have an 11-34 rear cassette. I use a Deore 9 speed rear derailleur and it works fine with triple. You could use this on current set up as a first fix.

Need a new bottom bracket or spacers if your old one doesn't have them. Some cranksets come with new BB and spacers. Front Mech and a Brifter.

KneesUp

Guru
For 2015 Genesis are doing a Tour de Fer with slightly longer chainstays and - drum roll - friction shifters. Only £900.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I am back home from two days of the TdF, a fantastic experience and atmosphere, about 20 seconds of cyclists and four hours of waiting, watching the caravan and support vehicles before the sudden excitement of the bikes.

I have decided to go for the option of a lower range cassette and reckon I might as well go the whole hog and replace my 11-30T with these:
• Cassette Shimano HG61 9-Speed 29er 12-36T
• Chain Shimano CN-HG53 9 Speed
• Rear Mech Shimano RD-M592 Deore Shadow

Can you tell me if these are compatible with my existing drive chain:
• Rear Mech Shimano Sora RD-3500 9sp
• Front Mech Shimano Sora FD-3500 9sp
• Chainset Shimano Sora FC-3550, 50/34T
• Chain Shimano CN-HG53 9sp

And will I definitely need a new rear mech and chain. Fitting the kit is within my capabilities so I need to get the right components

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I have a suspicion that Shimano road and MTB stuff is no longer compatible. Anyone else?
I hadn't thought about that, things always get complicated.....

ducakrugs

I have a Genesis CdF with a compact chainset 50/34 and the cassette is 11-30. My problem is that I am old, weak and battling to get anywhere near spinning up steep hills. Instead I am straining and wheezing up at 2-5mph – not a pretty sight.

My first thought was to change the rear cassette to HG61 which offers 11-32, 11-34 or 12-36. I wasn’t sure if the rear mech could cope with 12-36 and would I get a big enough boost in the low gears.

My next thought was a triple chainset FC3503 which is 50/39/30.

I have just visited my two favourite LBS to discuss the problem and both agreed the triple was a better option but they varied completely on what needed to be done:

LBS1 said new shifter, new front mech, new chain and the triple.
LBS2 said new bottom bracket and the triple; everything else would be fine.

Can anyone say which option is correct and any other thoughts are most welcome.
Shimano Durace do a good triple system...I have one on my BMC SLT01 team machine 2005

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
It's the shifters I'm not sure about. Isn't the "pull" slightly different for MTB and road?
Do you think my Sora shifters won't have the "strength" to work with a Deore rear mech? If that then means new shifters, the price is getting beyond whats worth spending on the bike.

Top Bottom