Compact to Triple - what to change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
No. They'll be fine.
That's good news, then

MisterStan

Label Required
To elaborate on my previous post, a derailleur is a spring loaded mechanism, the shifters (at least indexed ones) have a ratchet system, so when you click up or down, it pulls or releases the derailleur by a set amount.

I believe that the problem with road versus MTB stems from the pull on the brakes, which won't affect you.

BSRU

A Human Being
Do you think my Sora shifters won't have the "strength" to work with a Deore rear mech? If that then means new shifters, the price is getting beyond whats worth spending on the bike.
My tourer has a deore XT rear mech used with Tiagra brifters, no problems.

RebornBumbler

The only problem you may have with the Deore Shadow is that it probably won't have a cable adjuster - in which case unless you have one on the shifter (my hybrid thing only has adjustment for front mech. on the shifters) or on a frame adjuster, you'll need to add an inline barrel adjuster, but they're reasonably cheap.

Otherwise, it should be fine - the additional tension often mentioned regarding MTB mechs. is chain tension, nothing to do with the derailleur cage movement.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have a suspicion that Shimano road and MTB stuff is no longer compatible. Anyone else?
If we're talking rear mechs, the only issue is that 10 speed MTB rear mechs have a different pull ratio to everything else in the known Universe. 9 speed and below, any shifter + any rear mech = working.
I've used the exact same Revoshifter to work Acera, Sora and Tourney rear mechs, with no problems at all.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Right, having gone back and read the whole thread...
Your shifters will work a 9 speed Deore with no problem. Chris Juden of the CTC has recommended exactly this combo in the past.
A Deore will work with a 12-36 cassette, but I'll bet the Sora wouldn't quite cope.
New chain is a *good* idea.
A 26" bottom gear strikes me as a tad low, but I've never regretted having a stupidly low gear, including the 25" bottom I had on my Carbon bike a while back.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Right, having gone back and read the whole thread...
Your shifters will work a 9 speed Deore with no problem. Chris Juden of the CTC has recommended exactly this combo in the past.
A Deore will work with a 12-36 cassette, but I'll bet the Sora wouldn't quite cope.
New chain is a *good* idea.
A 26" bottom gear strikes me as a tad low, but I've never regretted having a stupidly low gear, including the 25" bottom I had on my Carbon bike a while back.
Thanks Doc, this is very re-assuring. Note that I don't need a granny gear, I need a great granny gear as I am hopeless on hills where I don't have a running start.

Thanks to everyone for all the help - you are great!

Top Bottom