Compatibility of brake levers/gear shifters between 2 bikes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daniel B

Hello chaps,

just in the process of getting my gf's 3 year old Ridgeback Bullit (recent ebay purchase) fully sorted for her commute.

Things fitted so far:
New tubes & tyres
SKS mudguards
Rear rack
New brake cables

Just ordered: new brake callipers, as the current ones are rubbing on the mudguards.

Also planning to swap the stem with that on my Carrera, which is adjustable, so will give her more scope for altering her weight balance on the bike.

I also have some other bits available, from my Marin Highway One, post drop bar conversion, and am unsure as to whether there would be any compatibility issues.

Namely the brake levers and gear shiters, which I am pretty sure will be better quality than those currently on the Ridgeback, and are currently sitting idle.

The Ridgeback is a 24spd bike, and the gear shifters that came with the Marin are:
Shimano SL-R440 - labelled up as 9spd (Is this an immediate no no, as the ridgeback is 8 spd, or can you adjust it internally to only shift 8 times?

The brake levers are: Avid Speed dial 7, and the brakes that these were fitted to were Avid Speed dial 7 with Shimano power mudulator. I'm only interested in fitting the brake levers, and feel fairly certain these won't have an issue working with the soon to be fitted Acera V brakes - am I right?!

Would defo be interested to hear about the gear shifters though, I have a feeling the only one that will be compatible is the left hand lever, but the rear cassette 9 might be a step too far?

Cheers

Dan

k-dog

Brake levers no problem - and the Avid's are a solid unit.

The shifters won't work though - you can make it so that the last shift doesn't do anything (just by adjusting the limit screws) but the spacing between 8 and 9 speeds is different so the indexing isn't quite right.

It's not worth it at all.

Top Bottom