Compatibility of rim brake pad inserts and calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Am I right in thinking that most rim brake pad inserts are compatible with most calipers? I've heard it said before, and I've used Giant brake pad inserts on Tektro R315 calipers on my old bike with no problems. I have Tektro TK-B177 brake calipers and I am looking at getting Swiss stop flash pro brake pads. My understanding is that most are compatible, even if they are branded as dura-ace or ultegra or whatever, as long as you don't try anything like putting shimano pads on Campagnolo calipers.

Campag are the only fly in the ointment that I have met. IIRC their slot widths are a tiny amount different to Shimano! (I did file a caliper once, but it didn't feel sensible ... )

si_c

Guru
Most pads are Shimano compatible. As @matticus says I think only Campag have a variation although if you can replace the shoes as well as the pads that solves that particular incompatibility.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
One thing I noticed about the swissstop pads is that they have two grooves in the non-braking surface of the pad for screws to go into. My calipers only has one screw, and the brake pads I have used so far only have one groove to go along with this. Is this an issue, or does it not matter that a two-groove pad, for lack of a better term, is only secured by one screw?

si_c

Guru
Doesn't matter - if installed correctly when braking the pad is pushed towards the closed end of the shoe and the pad is generally held in by a bit of friction. The screw is there as a just in case to prevent any movement rearwards - but the forces involved are small so it doesn't need a lot to keep it in place.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The difference is about 3mm I believe between Campag and Shimano - 55mm vs 52. Just stick with Shimano compatible and you'll be fine. You may find the little grub screw has seized. As said, the grub screw is just there for extra safety, not really needed. Two slots might mean they can be fitted in either L or R shoe.

Top Bottom