Competition thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
If anybody wins any of these prizes, please post below to encourage others to enter future competitions, and to encourage me to keep posting details of them! :okay:

Not that sort of competition but about 35 years ago I used to do a fair bit of long distance running.
One event that I competed in a few times was the Solihull 100k. The race consisted of 20x5k laps of a housing development at Chelmsley Wood ( now Solihull) on the outskirts of Birmingham.
My mate dropped me off and watched the first couple of laps before heading off the visit family.

When he got back he was surprised to see me still out there on the course, and being the good mate that he was enquired how much longer I was going to be, and expressed the opinion that I must have stopped for lunch.
Finally finished, showered and waiting for the results which were delayed due to an anomaly in the lap recording, some unfortunate (me) had been sent round for an extra lap.

Although I wasn't quite fit enough to make the top three, they did have a special presentation and award for me as " Winner" of the 105k.
🥇🏃🤔

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You know those text competitions they have in the TdF with really tempting prizes? Well Channel 5 have really upped the ante with this.

Tickets for UK's Strongest Man at the Milton Keynes bowl (wooo) T shirts (wooo) two nights in a hotel in Milton Keynes (WOOO) and dinner in the steak house attached to the hotel (frantic applause). And also £1000 thrown in to spend on the delights of Milton Keynes.

Text MAN to 6555

https://www.channel5.com/win/uks-strongest-man-competition-2019/

I haven't entered, because I don't feel worthy.

Last edited:

Alex H

Legendary Member
Did you enjoy it?

Negatives
The saddle on my wife's bike became loose after the first couple of miles.
The last day was a planned 4 miles :eek: with not much option to extend it

Positives
It showed the difference in cycling ability between us - bought a tandem when we got home :okay:
Found out I'd rather plan the route / hotels myself :smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
4 miles - ha ha!

I have seen some companies doing this kind of thing who give a choice of daily distance and/or hilliness.

I would rather plan my own trips so I didn't enter this competition, but I thought that somebody might be interested.

I see quite a few cycling-related competitions and I will post them here when I remember to.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You know those text competitions they have in the TdF with really tempting prizes?

I looked at one of those but was put off by what you had to sign up for as part of your 'free' entry.

Can't recall the details, but it was a bit more than marketing updates, and it looked to be a faff to unpick it all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I looked at one of those but was put off by what you had to sign up for as part of your 'free' entry.

Can't recall the details, but it was a bit more than marketing updates, and it looked to be a faff to unpick it all.
I think that I said it earlier in this thread (somewhere on CC, anyway...) - things have improved due to EU legislation. Companies can no longer trick you into signing up for things by using opt-outs or confusing language such as "do not check the checkbox if you do not want to be excluded from opting in". At least it is now clear that you would be opting in. Often though, opt-ins are now optional. I enter lots of competitions and usually get away with NOT opting in. I don't opt in unless I really don't mind the company contacting me OR the prize is so spectacular that I think it is worth it.

I used to not enter competitions that mentioned SMS text marketing but discovered that if you enter them online rather than by text message, no marketing messages are ever received. (Well, I have entered hundreds of such competitions online and have not YET received even a single marketing message.)

Top Bottom