Competitive Hill Climbs - Anyone do them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
Yes, Paolo runs the MHCL and I find to be a likeable guy, I asked his advice when I considered buying a Hill Climbing bike recently.

I'll post the link on this thread to the MHCL stuff when it comes around next year.

Yeah, I always got on well with him in the virtual world. He could be a little contentious with others though!
 

Legs

usually riding on Zwift or up steep hills...
Location
Staffordshire
I like racing so I deliberately visited at least two, to be one of the people with cowbells and merriment. :-) But I've not been to one or any other time trial since CTT adopted their low-evidence helmet rule even for hill climbs, where the risk of rider overheating surely outweighs the risk of a fall, and overheating further increases the fall risk, while helmet use increases the risk of a driver hitting the rider. I doubt I'll go to one again. Irrational zealots are ruining the sport and its traditions.

You are aware, I take it, that competitors in HCs nearly always ride down hills, too, either before or after competing? And on some climbs, like the Cat & Fiddle or the Struggle, there are substantial downhill stretches?

The public perception of cycle racing is bad enough already without anti-helmet zealots!
 

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
My Road Race this Sunday (tomorrow) has been cancelled due to roadworks, so I can now do a Hill Climb in the Midland Hill Climbing League - Maxstoke Hill.

Does Maxstoke use the official Strava climb, 1.99km at 4%? I just looked at this year's results and was surprised as my best is 5min flat (which would have got me 8th place in the hill climb) but that is only ever casually riding it, I have never done an effort up it. Is the Hill Climb course longer than Strava?
 
Top Bottom