Complementing people's new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Velvet Curtain said:
It's the same as when people insist that you say something nice when they thrust their new baby in front of you. All you can do is be polite and change the subject as soon as possible.

Er, no! I normally (which admittedly isn't too often) say 'Yes, very nice' and hand it back.

Most of my friends (during the 80s and 90s, when they became parents) knew what I was like (a miserable younger git) so was given a wide berth! ;)

Blue

Legendary Member
bonj said:
this attitude annoys me too. Even some of the people on here have something against spending a bit of money on decent kit, how often is there a post saying "Which so-and-so for less than a twenty quid?" or "Recommend me a thingy for a tenner." ;)

Are they the members who came from ACF? I always felt that attitude pervaded that place!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've had a chap at work ask advice over buying a road bike. he went and got a good deal on a spesh allez, so we had that conversation about how good was it compared to mine etc. i pointed out that mine had a better group set, wheels etc, but his had a better frame, and that both bikes were more than adequate in any case.

i also made a point that the full carbon spesh tarmac also on show in the bike shed had yet to overtake me on even my old steel hack going up the local nasty rise (past prestbury golf course).

i was just pleased i'd helped him decide to get a suitable bike and not a piece of cheap junk, or something that would make him look "all the gear…" and a target for all the commuter racers.

simoncc

Sounding upbeat about someone's new bike, whatever the quality, is not hard for me because I like bikes. The topics I find really difficult and dull are the new car, new TV, new kitchen, how bright the kids, house prices etc, but worst of all is the person who thinks you are remotely interested in the goings on at their place of work.

Plax

Guru
simoncc said:
Sounding upbeat about someone's new bike, whatever the quality, is not hard for me because I like bikes. The topics I find really difficult and dull are the new car, new TV, new kitchen, how bright the kids, house prices etc, but worst of all is the person who thinks you are remotely interested in the goings on at their place of work.

Hey guess what Simoncc - I went into work for a few hours this morning and the roof started leaking above a colleagues desk! She wasn't very impressed and said that leaks follow her everywhere in Wales. The last two rented properties leaked and she said if the new rental she's moving into next week leaks too she's moving back to Scotland! I thought it was funny anyway especially when the maintenance guy said it was the way the wind was blowing and gave her a bucket. ;)

Mortiroloboy

Plax said:
Hey guess what Simoncc - I went into work for a few hours this morning and the roof started leaking above a colleagues desk! She wasn't very impressed and said that leaks follow her everywhere in Wales. The last two rented properties leaked and she said if the new rental she's moving into next week leaks too she's moving back to Scotland! I thought it was funny anyway especially when the maintenance guy said it was the way the wind was blowing and gave her a bucket. :wacko:

Thistle please her, she'll be heather so happy to be back in scotland;):biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Sorry:blush: but I had to;)

gbb

Legendary Member
mickle said:
I made my cousin cry when I told her that I thought her new bike was 'a piece of sh!t'. Ho hum. You cant not tell em.

Jesus mickle :wacko: you really know how to put a six year old down...FFS :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom