Completed first century ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I did the South Eastern Sportive yesterday and it was actually 96 miles, but let's not split hairs.

While I'm glad I completed it, I really struggled during the last 25 miles or so. That last section was not fun, I was literally counting the miles down and was close to agony.

I've done plenty of 60 mile rides and have usually been fine. I was careful to eat and drink enough during the ride and didn't set off at an electric pace.

Any thoughts why this may have happened?

Is it the bike? Mine is an Alu frame with quite racy geometry. Maybe a more sportive type bike would make a difference. Assume a carbon/titanium helps here as well.

Or is a ride of this length always going to affect your body in this way?

Regardless, I'm pleased to have done it and it was a beautiful ride with some friendly folks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done!

What kind of agony? Backache, saddle sores, leg cramps, sore shoulders, stiff neck, painful knees, dodgy feet ...?

I've been in all sorts of difficulty after 50 miles, but I've also done three 145 mile rides where I felt comfortable. The difference was my fitness at the time, what I was wearing, bike adjustment etc.

Fubar

Guru
I definitely think your body takes time to get used to the distance, physically and mentally - now you have done that distance you will probably find your next 60 miler much easier. Well done on completing your first century! Regards, Mark

Lee_M

Guru
well done!

on a slightly related note, I came back to cycling 6 weeks ago after a back operation and did 30 miles - not quite dead, but not far off

On saturday I got lost and did 28 miles, and didnt even notice!

I suspect as Fubar says its the big jump up in mileage and 60 will feel a doddle next time!

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Thanks.

The pain was mostly in the lower back, shoulders and hands/wrists. Legs were fine at the time, though are quite sore now. The bike was fitted for me, so I don't think the setup was the issue.

I suppose it was no worse than can be expected but when I spoke to my wife right after I finished I said "don't ever let me do this again". I'm sure I will though. :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The pain was mostly in the lower back, shoulders and hands/wrists. Legs were fine at the time, though are quite sore now. The bike was fitted for me, so I don't think the setup was the issue.
It sounds like you were basically fit enough, since your legs stood the strain okay.

I've had pain like that and found that flipping my stem over made a big difference. That has the effect of bringing the bars up and back a bit so I am slightly less stretched out. If your cables are long enough, it is an easy change to try. (If the cables are too short, then it is a lot more hassle.) I prefer the look of the stem parallel to the road but I'd rather be comfortable!

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like it's just a case of the extra time in the saddle to what you are used to.
It's a big jump from 60-100 miles, I did the same 2 years ago, had aches in muscles I didn't know existed :ohmy:

dodgy

Well done, but you haven't ridden 100 miles yet, unless you added a bit on at the start/end or something ;)

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I completed my first Pedal for Scotland yesterday (48 miles and the longest ride to date) I felt good afterwards. Took on water, flap jacks,banana jelly babies etc. but when I got to the last part of the hills I kept experiencing an intense burning pain in both groins (sorry ladies:wub: ) I try and peddle out of the saddle when reaching the summit but this just made it worse. Has anybody got any ideas? Thanks

Top Bottom